What glues to use.....?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

What glues to use.....?

Postby Xanadu » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:41 am

Besides CA's, what glues does everyone else use?

I used to use Testors, Abroid, and Elmers wood glue to name a few, up until this summer when I switched to CA's. But I think I will be switching back away from CA's due to health issue with them.
Xanadu

Postby John G. Jedinak » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:45 pm

Personally I stick with Testors. Use the 50/50 white Elmers just for sealing wood and tissue, as well as, bonding the tissue. (I prefer the Testors since it is fast drying...note: I build for display only.)
John G. Jedinak

Postby cmccrackan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 pm

i have built one model before. and when i fly the plane, i usually have a rib break off or something, so if your flying ur plane, use somthing else :wink:
cmccrackan

Postby Bargle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Duco or 527 for most building with CA and epoxy for a few specific things where they are better, mostly metal to wood joining.
Bargle

Postby The Flying Panda » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi Im a model aircraft enthusiast.
So you ask what glue do i use?
3 types first the elmers white glue and water combo
2nd the super glue gell works great with plastics
then for wood i use Zap a gap CA glue
the Zap kicker dries white sometimes and its not as strong. but i dont mind, i use the kicker with the super glue gell mostly unless the zap doesnt dry.
The Flyn Panda
Merry Christmas and Happy New year
FORTRESS CONFIGURATIONS (C)
The Flying Panda

Postby lukebozek1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:12 am

CA to frame up ribs, regular testors wood or Sig-Ment for major joints, white glue for tissue (thinned 50% with water). Ca comes in medium thin and thich for gaps, but all of these stick to everything like my fingers and the thin stuff flows everywhere.
lukebozek1

Postby Phugoid » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:50 pm

White glue for any wood joints. I never use glue to make up gaps. If there is a gap get rid of it by sanding or adding wood. A good fit makes for a stronger joint regardless of the glue

White glue 50/50 with water for tissue......

I only ever use CA for Tacking metal parts in position (like U/C wires) before using epoxy to fix securely.

I hate CA....... it stinks, sticks to everything (including ones own fingers) is brittle and hard to sand...............yuk!
Phugoid

Return to General Building Questions