Tissue sticking

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Tissue sticking

Postby Londoner » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:53 pm

Sometimes when doping thin sections such as tailplanes I have found that the upper and lower tissue sticks together in places. Is there something wrong with my technique?
Londoner

Re: Tissue sticking

Postby Ray Klein » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:55 pm

Are you shrinking the tissue first with water or alcohol? I would also try thinning the dope and apply several light coats, you may consider an airbrush for this. Good luck, Ray
Ray Klein

Postby Londoner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:58 pm

Thanks Ray.
Shrinking with water/alcohol mix. Don't have an air brush.
I'm going to make a few small squares from 1/16 strip so I can experiment with a few ideas.
Londoner

Postby Londoner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:01 pm

P.S. I am using Eze Dope and I wonder if that is more prone to sagging than the real stuff.
Londoner

Postby Ray Klein » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:40 pm

Ezy Dope,,,I think its water based? On heavier application would cause the tissue to sag again before tightening. Thinning it and several lighter applications (drying in between) may work?
Ray Klein

Postby Londoner » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:38 pm

Hi Ray
I have come to the conclusion that Eze Dope, or any water based finish, is difficult to use on thin sections though I am happy with it for most applications.
I have just built a stab and fin for a small model just using 1/16 square and I finished it with hairspray. This seemed to work well with no sag but it is not waterproof and I am not sure how it will fare on a humid day. Still it will do for the time being until I can pick up some proper dope.
Londoner

Return to General Building Questions