Balsa Wood Airplane model travel kit

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Balsa Wood Airplane model travel kit

Postby MikeCallender » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Hello all,
I have gained a great deal on knowledge and wisdom from this group. Thank you! I am traveling for the summer holidays and as a typical American, I get bored easily and an extended holiday can mean long hours of tedium with family and friends that leads to no good. I would like to bring along a balsa wood airplane kit to work on (easy to stuff in a suitcase), but I am flying so bringing all of the glue, razor blades, dope, clippers, and sand paper (etc...) is problematic. Furthermore the fruits of my labor will not be easy to re-
'stuff in my suitcase and well...I do not know how to get is back. Any advice?
I was thinking the model kit, wax paper, glue, sandpaper, pins, and an exacto knife/razor blade. I would wait to assemble it, but WOW that requires a great deal of discipline, but if I must, I must. Any other must have? I am willing to PM you for where I am going and if there are hobby shops there, but a quick google search is not promising. I am more than willing to purchase and then gift to the location club, but not sure where to look. Looking for help! Thank you.

Michael
MikeCallender

Re: Balsa Wood Airplane model travel kit

Postby Chris A » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Michael, I've had the same challenge, here are some suggestions: Laser cut kits are easier and the parts are more accurate than print or die cut. Make a second set of construction plans that you can fold up, cut into pieces, to build on. I'd leave the single edge razor blade behind and instead buy a block of #11 X-Acto blades for their small size handle. You can transport the tools in your check in luggage. My travel glue is Elmer's Wood Glue rather than any super glue. There is no problem building flat parts like tail assemblies as pink foam board stays flat. I brought along 1/2 inch thick pink bathroom insulation foam board cut into two convenient packing sizes. Pins, especially the glass top embroidery pins hold well in the foam board. I cut the extra construction plan into pieces topped with wax paper just big enough for building each flat part. I glue each pinned down part, let it dry and then glue each part joint again. When hard and dry, sanded and done, I sandwiched the parts top and bottom between the wax paper to prevent sticking and then put the second piece of pink board on top, and tape it together with blue masking tape. As for hobby shops and help, I suggest you go on line and look up the balsa model Flying Aces Club with squadrons all over the country. the members can give you great guidance. If you are an old school modeler, and are doing a print wood model to cut out, bring along a big enough flat plastic snap lid sandwich box so the finished cut parts won't get crushed or broken in transit. For sanding, 60,120, 200 and especially 400 grit paper will be needed and so will a small ruler for accurate cuts. I get a lot of use out of finger nail emery boards of various grits. You CAN do three dimensional wings and fuselages if you are ready to mail the assemblies back home in the hard US Priority Mail boxes. I'd forget trying to tissue cover parts during your vacation. I hope you have a good, non-boring trip!
Chris A

Re: Balsa Wood Airplane model travel kit

Postby MikeCallender » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:06 am

Chris, Thank you so much, this is helpful. Mailing the assembled parts home is an excellent idea. Last time, the plane required some repairs work after a long car ride home, but that is part of the fun.
MikeCallender

Return to General Building Questions