Making a new canopy

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Making a new canopy

Postby Doppiejohn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:10 pm

I have an old P61 canopy that has turned yellow with age. I bought the P61 kit at auction and the kit had never been opened but I guess the heat and age did a number on the canopy. I want to make a new canopy by molding it on my own. First question, is there a good material for making the positive mold out of? Second question, will the material leave residue behind in the old canopy and is it easy to clean up after?
Well, that’s my questions I’m hoping someone out there has some experience in doing this type of project. If you want to email me send it to
doppiejohn@aol.com thanks everyone.
Doppiejohn

Re: Making a new canopy

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:20 pm

Doppiejohn wrote:I have an old P61 canopy that has turned yellow with age. I bought the P61 kit at auction and the kit had never been opened but I guess the heat and age did a number on the canopy. I want to make a new canopy by molding it on my own. First question, is there a good material for making the positive mold out of? Second question, will the material leave residue behind in the old canopy and is it easy to clean up after?
Well, that’s my questions I’m hoping someone out there has some experience in doing this type of project. If you want to email me send it to
doppiejohn@aol.com thanks everyone.

I use plaster of Paris when I want to reproduce a kit canopy. Was this a Sterling kit?

KF
kittyfritters

Postby Johnny ace » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Don't know if this would work,but worth a try.On old decals that have yellowed,I put the sheet in a window that gets sun.The uv rays will bleach the yellow out.It takes maybe 2 weeks.So,stick the canopy in a window and try it.
Johnny ace

Postby Doppiejohn » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:01 pm

To kittyfritters,
Yes this is a Sterling kit, as I said in the post I bought it out of an auction, I’m not sure how old it might be do you know?

You indicated that you have used plaster of Paris in making a positive mold of the old canopy. Do you use anything to help the plaster turn loose when its dry and does the old canopy come clean afterwards?

Thanks for your interest I hope you can be of further help in this matter.

Doppiejohn
Doppiejohn

Postby Doppiejohn » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 pm

To Johnny Ace,

Yes I have tried putting a piece of the extra canopy molding in the sun but it didn’t help, but thanks anyway.

Doppiejohn
Doppiejohn

Return to General Building Questions