Alternatives to tissue

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Alternatives to tissue

Postby Brianj » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pm

Howdy gurus, greetings from Australia.
I'm building a 1/16 Spitfire as a static display. I'm looking for something other than tissue to cover the frame. I find tissue leaves the frame looking a bit skeletal. I'm looking for smooth, clean lines and curves. Thin cardboard, thick paper? I want to paint it and add decals to it.
Any suggestions and tips would be welcome.
Have a terrific new year!
Brianj

Re: Alternatives to tissue

Postby akjgardner » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:36 pm

1/32 balsa. if you wet it , you can bend it around the curves and use ca to attach it
akjgardner

Postby Doppiejohn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:29 pm

Hey I know Iā€™m getting in on this a day late and a dollar short but here goes. I have used 1/32ā€ balsa sheeting for over ten years now on any WWII plane I build. It gives a more realistic look to the surface in my opinion because the tissue shows all the ribs regardless of how you paint it. Maybe you can use the info on a future build. In using the sheeting I also add 1/16ā€ stringers where the overlap is hard to make the sheeting lay down, it jus gives more surface to glue to and yes CA glue will work in spite of the balsa being wet.
Doppiejohn

Postby mark eggebeen » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:04 pm

How about trying card stock ( thick paper)
mark eggebeen

Postby mark eggebeen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:42 pm

I read somewhere that they had used hair spray after the tissue was dry to seal it . any comments ?
mark eggebeen

Return to General Building Questions