Thickness of tail assemblies

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Thickness of tail assemblies

Postby steven » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi all,
I'm a new builder and have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I'm building the tail assemblies of the 400 series P-40 Warhawk and the tail pieces are from 3/32" stock. The stringers though are not as thick, so they don't line up flush with the tail pieces. Why does it come this way? Once assembled, should I sand the tail pieces down to the thickness of the stringer? Should I line up the stringer with the top of the tail pieces or bottom?
Thanks for you help.
steven
steven

Re: Thickness of tail assemblies

Postby edbecky » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:33 pm

You could double the stringers and sand them down.
Ed
edbecky

Postby steven » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:03 am

Good point. I could do that easily, but still, why is the kit designed this way? Do most people do that or do they build it as instructed?
Thanks
steven

Postby Mfezi » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:10 am

Steven, I haven't build the Warhawk, but I have built the Spitfire and many others. Usually, if you look at your stringer sheet, you find that some of the stringers are a bit wider than the other ones. Those wider stringers, when turned on their sides, usually match the thicker tail parts. At least, that is my experience with some of the other Guillows kits. Alternatively, you can also strip your own stringers from the sheets from which the tail parts came, although it may not always be the right grade of wood for stringers.

Ben
B.A. Broughton
Mfezi

Postby Oldyzracer1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:46 pm

I look for wider stringers to use, too.
Oldyzracer1

Return to General Building Questions