Guillows Die Cut 400 series Mustang

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows Die Cut 400 series Mustang

Postby scigs30 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Here is my finished 400 series Die Cut P51 Mustang for the FB 400 series contest. I hope to get her up in the air in the next couple of days. I have test glided and added the clay. As shown without the rubber is 90 grams. I built her out of the box using everything except the rubber and warped red prop. I am still using a Guillows 400 series prop but it is black. I even used the old decals, a little challenging but they are old and sticking pretty good. I also used the supplied silkspan which is great to cover with but does get heavy with dope when compared to tissue. I decided not to paint since she is getting pretty heavy mainly from the kit supplied landing gear. Part of the rules is the landing gear had to be added. I would normally have build without landing gear for better flight, less weight and less chance of damage. I did nothing to make this build lighter, the die cut wood was not too bad. I actually prefer die or printed wood to laser cut.......But hey I don't mind the ease of laser cut kits. Will post flight video soon. The Spitfire is the 400 series laser cut kit, weighs 109 grams without rubber and flies pretty good. I also kept the build simple so I could get her up in the air by July 1, the contest end date.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Re: Guillows Die Cut 400 series Mustang

Postby scigs30 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Since this had to be complete by July 1, I really did not have time to build so I kept the build simple. When I build another, I will omit the landing gear and paint silver or cover with grey tissue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:40 pm

The old decals went on ok with the help of thinned PVA.
scigs30

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:42 pm

Looks awesome! Your models are what I always aspire mine to look like. Hope she flies well!
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby scigs30 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:26 pm

I was able to get some test flights in today and she flies great out of the box. The contest ends June 30th and this is the only day I could get a flight in but it was at a small park. The park is too small for real flying so I kept it short and sweet. First, remember I built her out of the box, an older kit with die cut parts. Second I made no modifications and had to use the designed landing gear that added a lot of weight. Finally I used the supplied dark gray rubber band with stock prop set up, personally I like the old dark gray rubber compared to the new light grey and tan rubber. Since the park is so small, this rubber actually worked out great, I just added the tight circles so she would not end up on the street or hitting light poles or trees. I used my handy winder...love this thing....and with the help of good ole soap and glycerin added 350 winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HARmk8ALno
scigs30

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Beautiful work, as usual, built straight and it flies. Guessing how long it took you to get the camera going I estimate that flight was 15 seconds on 350 turns. The thing that I find amazing, since I have a couple of those winders myself, is that you were able to get 350 turn on Guillow's grey rubber without stripping the gears on that little winder!

Well done!

KF
kittyfritters

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:23 pm

Your Mustang looks super,and it's always great to see in flight pics.

Your Spitfire is a beauty too.
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby Oldyzracer1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:31 am

Beautiful flyer!
Oldyzracer1

Return to General Building Questions