DHC-2 Beaver

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

DHC-2 Beaver

Postby DanD » Fri May 01, 2020 12:30 pm

First model in about 65 years. Trying to finish Beaver. Wrestling with the perplexing problem of putting in, or on, the windows and windscreen. Have puzzled on how to possibly mount inside so it is a cleaner look. Can't figure any way to do this once fuselage and wings are covered and painted. And the instructions place this after covering the fuselage. So, now I'm stuck with gluing to outside surface. And finding getting clean precise cuts of plastic outside my skill level. Would appreciate Experience/suggestions for handling this.
DanD

Re: DHC-2 Beaver

Postby Sterling street » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:34 am

I also suffer from the same problem, it would be nice if someone made vacuum formed windows and front windscreens. When I was into HO scale trains, a company named, Run 8, made flush fitting windows for Athearn locomotives, they were really nice to use....
Always reading, always asking questions
Sterling street

Re: DHC-2 Beaver

Postby heywooood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:25 am

One thing you can do - you can see the results on my Aeronca build elsewhere on this forum - is to cut the windows from acetate using scissors. If you have the kind made for sewing those are best for the job. Just lay the clear plastic over the plan drawing of the window you are going to make and trace it right onto the clear acetate. Then cut it out by cutting outside of the tracing by 1/16” - if you use a fine point sharpie to do the tracing you can wipe your ink line off with a paper towel soaked in white vinegar or windex. Use white elmers glue to attach the window to the outside of the painted airplane. The white glue will be transparent when it dries. If you want to put trim around the windows you can cut plain masking tape into 1/16” or 1/8” wide strips, apply them to a small sheet of glass (I use the glass from old picture frames) and paint the strips the same as the body color of the airplane..then use the strips as ‘frames’ to surround the windows and cover the acetate where it overlaps the window openings.
My Aeronca build - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3721
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Return to General Building Questions