Paint

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Paint

Postby spud » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Where is a good place to buy paint for stick/tissue airplanes? No hobby stores where I live. Thanks in advance for any info.
spud

Re: Paint

Postby Doppiejohn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:27 pm

I didn't see where you got a response to your question about paint. First of all I only use Testors Acrylic paint and you can go to Testors.Com and check out their offerings. I order my. paint from Hobbylinc.com they have good prices and ship promptly.

Hope this is a help.

doppiejohn
Doppiejohn

Postby spud » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:54 pm

Thanks for the info.
spud

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:14 pm

I have been using Krylon, UV resistant, clear fixative, #1305 to fix the tissue on my models for many years. It's gloss finish and if I want matte finish I simply use matte paints. Just about anything will go over Krylon acrylics and I use Testor's and Tamaya acrylic paints, nitrate dope (Only if it must be absolutely waterproof...My wife is very allergic.), Design Master floral spray (lighter), and acrylic airbrush inks (lightest) depending on the colors, weight and finish I need. I was using frisket for masking but recently been using Frog tape for delicate surfaces to good effect without pulling up undercoats or leaving shiny spots. There are many hardware, craft and artist supply stores that sell these products on line.

Hope this helps,

Howard
(kittyfritters)
kittyfritters

Postby edbecky » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:11 am

I use Apple Barrel acrylic paint purchased at my local Walmart. Works well for me when applied over a few coats of 30% EZE dope 70% water. Light sanding after each coat. Reasonably priced as well.
I might add that I just build for display, so I couldn't tell you how it holds up to fuel.
Ed
edbecky

Return to General Building Questions