What is the best model (WWI or WWII) to convert to electric?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

What is the best model (WWI or WWII) to convert to electric?

Postby scottbower » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:43 am

I am working my way up in my builds. I am getting pretty good at the basic rubber band powered flight, but want to graduate to electric RC. What model WWI or WWII plane is the most forgiving in converting to electric? Is it documented someplace all the extra pieces i will need to convert? I use a Spektrum DX6i for my controller if that makes any difference
scottbower

Re: What is the best model (WWI or WWII) to convert to elect

Postby Mfezi » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:51 am

On RCGroups, there is a thread that captures a very large list of Guillows conversions. Some of those threads are now a little older and newer technology would probably have made the conversions easier. Nevertheless, there is a lot to learn from the builds:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... on-threads
B.A. Broughton
Mfezi

Re: What is the best model (WWI or WWII) to convert to elect

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Precision building is more important than the model. I've gotten good results with the Sopwith, Stearman, and SE5a. The Sopwith is the most difficult to build straight, the Stearman a bit easier, and the LC SE5a the easiest. One poor quality kit that I got excellent results from was the Comet Albatros DVa. Built entirely new wings, with massive rework to the fuselage that was sheeted with 1/32" balsa.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions