Recreating broken parts of balsa - ideas?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Recreating broken parts of balsa - ideas?

Postby scottbower » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:43 am

Good Day Builders,
Do any of you know an easy way to recreate broken balsa parts? I am having a hell-of-a time building the Messerschmitt 109 kit 401. I know now not to make the wing frame over tight for the parts F1 to F12 to fit in, but in that process, I broke both F3s and one F2.

The way I am trying to make new parts is to cut out the shape from the plans and glue it to a piece of card stock. I then trim down that card stock with the part overlay to be exact to plans. I will then glue that new jig to a sheet of balsa and cut that out.

The reason I am going to card stock first is to improve the rigidity and durability of that part so I don't break it again.

Does anyone have other options? (and yes, I did buy the replacement sheets from Guillow, but I wanted to try to make parts myself so I don't have to buy replacements in the future.
scottbower

Re: Recreating broken parts of balsa - ideas?

Postby tom arnold » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:44 pm

I use an office copier to copy the formers from plans onto bond paper. Then cut out roughly and gluestick to the sheet balsa. Trim the result down to the outer line with razor/sandpaper and peel the paper off when finished. Sometimes a spritz of water and letting it soak helps the removal or use the "repositionable" type of glue stick.
tom arnold

Return to General Building Questions