Installing side cockpit window

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Installing side cockpit window

Postby Sterling street » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:27 pm

I am currently working on a Guillows model 302, Cessna 170, how do you guys attach the side windows. I was thinking of using the cut out laser part as a template for the acetate ,then flush mounting it in the recess of the cabin sides, this is a static model so I don't have to worry about losing it in flight or a hard landing...
Always reading, always asking questions
Sterling street

Re: Installing side cockpit window

Postby David Lewis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:45 pm

I glue the clear plastic to the outside of the balsa, and then the covering tissue goes outside that. For the windshield, I cut a strip of covering, fold it in half lengthwise and glue it on as a reveal molding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Lewis

Postby Sterling street » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Thank you for your response...
Always reading, always asking questions
Sterling street

Postby heywooood » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:58 pm

I like the idea of using the cutouts as templates for the acetate. On my model I just cut to the provided pattern and overlaid the fuselage but would probably try your idea next. Fwiw I also overlaid the fuselage with acetate on my Aeronca build. It comes down to what YOU can do, what you can accept as compromise, and what your current skill set will allow.
Try your idea - if it doesn’t work you can still use the other methods. Nothing ventured as they say
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Return to General Building Questions