Guillows Hawker Hurricane Built and Flight

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows Hawker Hurricane Built and Flight

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Here is a Guillows Hawker Hurricane I built for the Guillows challenge of 20 sec flight. As you can see she is an old kit that I built out of the box using the die cut wood and even used the wooden nose button but did not add permanent landing gear, but you can see it came with wood wheels. The wood is typical old heavy Guillows balsa of back in the day but it made for a fun build. I did nothing to make the kit lighter, just built her out of the box. I did fly her with the 5 inch prop and newer Guillows blue rubber band and you can see she flies. I then swapped the 5 inch prop for a Guillows 6 inch prop and she flew great up until the plane hit a light post. Since she is a robust design there was no major damage to the plane except the wooden thrust button, easy fix. For the 20 second flight I used 8 inch rubber from the Guillows profile models and 6 inch prop. I had to use extra kit balsa to extend the wooden nose button because it did not fit, I guess back in the day Guillows wanted the builder to glue the button in place. I used the kit white tissue, and covered the fuselage with wet tissue and flying surfaces with dry tissue attaching with thinned Elmers white glue, I also built the entire model with Elmers Glue All. I used water to shrink the tissue and brushed on 2 coats of Sig Lite Cote. I also used the old decals, first spraying the decal sheet with Testors Glosscote and they went on ok. Some of the decals did not stick very well so I used thin glue to attach. Here are the videos showing Guillows models do fly out of the box with a little down thrush and weight in the nose. The blue rubber band was able to handle 250-300 winds and the Guillows 3/32 rubber handled 300-350 winds. I did lube the rubber with FAI glycerin/green soap and used my handy battery operated winder. I really like this winder don't have to set up a stooge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Re: Guillows Hawker Hurricane Built and Flight

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:12 pm

More pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:15 pm

More pictures
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:16 pm

More pictures
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Here are the flight videos using different Guillows rubber and Guillows props. Who says Guillows kits cant fly with supplied rubber and prop. You can see the winder I use, the rubber lube and my stuffing stick to get the rubber into the little thrust hole.

https://youtu.be/3yHrzvzLL6c
https://youtu.be/1FhZf5z-UPo
https://youtu.be/jW1sItt_6vU
scigs30

Postby akjgardner » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:22 pm

Looking good
akjgardner

Postby webra » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 pm

scigs30 wrote:More pictures

These are wonderful! Did you have to scallop the formers under the tissue?

Thanks for such inspiring work!
webra

Postby Scott » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:44 am

Very nice build Scigs,thanks for posting the pics. :)
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Return to General Building Questions