Applying tissue in sections

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Applying tissue in sections

Postby GGB14 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Can someone tell me if I should follow the instructions to place the issue on the fuselage in small sections or all at once as some other folks recommend?
GGB14

Re: Applying tissue in sections

Postby edbecky » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:41 am

I'm not an expert by a long shot but I think it really depends on the model. I try to cover as much as I can without wrinkles. Some people on the forums suggest putting the paper on wet and this allows more coverage. It all depends on what you're comfortable with and the results you get. I know, that's a real definitive answer. :D Lets see what other people think.
Ed
edbecky

Postby GGB14 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks! So how do you handle the seams between separate sheets of tissue? Does the dope application fill these in?
GGB14

Postby edbecky » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Just make sure the seam ends on wood. If done neatly it won't show. Look on YouTube for some videos of tissue application.
Ed
edbecky

Postby Chris A. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:40 pm

So long as you are not having to cover compound curve surfaces, larger pieces work. The advice regarding covering to rib and former surfaces is accurate. I often go vertical on fuselage covering making sure the formers are first covered with a coat of dope and left to dry before covering. Plan your covering so there is a slight overlap on the seams of each covering piece. I have good success covering dry and then using a spray atomizer to tighten tissue. Wet tissue rips very easily, dry is tougher. To keep large surfaces like rudders and stabilizers flat after covering, I dope the outline, put on the covering, and then pin down the part before wetting. Just to get a feel for the covering material, I usually do these first. Once dry and flat, I spray a light coat of Krylon that tends to keep the part flat.

For compound areas like wing tips, you may have to use a small piece, or even two to avoid wrinkles. Don't worry if it doesn't work out well at first, most kits have a generous amount of spare tissue.
Chris A.

Postby scigs30 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:24 pm

I have been covering for many years, and if you are new at building I would suggest to cover in smaller sections and use dry tissue. I personally cover complex structures such as a curved fuselage with wet tissue, that way I am only using two pieces of tissue for the entire fuselage. While this looks better in the end, it takes a lot of experience to cover wet with domestic tissue. I applaud Guillows for giving directions on how to cover in small sections to get a good covering job for a amateur builder. I covered this way for years until I learned how to cover wet in larger sections. I still cover flat fuselages, wings, stab and rudder with dry tissue then shrink. Some time back I did a write up on covering a Guillows P40 following Guillows directions to a letter, you can see it looks pretty good. So yes if you want a good looking covering job, just follow Guillows directions.
viewtopic.php?p=6685#6685
scigs30

Return to General Building Questions