Sopwith Camel problems

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Sopwith Camel problems

Postby GGB14 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am

Anyone on here build the Sopwith Camel? I'm having a devil of a time with the instructions, which appear to have been written around the time of Moses and the Ten Commandments. :roll: Anyway, the directions call for each portion of the body to be covered with tissue before assembling. But looking at the assembly instructions and the parts provided, along with photos of the finished model, it's pretty obvious to me that the top leg of the U-shaped wing strut is intended to be buried within the structure of the wing, therefore it needs to be glued in place before the tissue cladding. Am I crazy? I'm also not too thrilled with the vinyl parts they supplied in lieu of plywood (claiming they perform better) as they're pretty flimsy. But that's another issue!
GGB14

Re: Sopwith Camel problems

Postby David Lewis » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:55 pm

You want to cover the major components before you glue the landing gear, tail and lower wing to the fuse, or the struts to the wings.
David Lewis

Re: Sopwith Camel problems

Postby Johnny ace » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:21 pm

I agree.I made the dr1 triplane.completely cover,then slice a cut in the tissue for the struts.I also like to glue a piece of scrap balsa on both sides of the rib where the strut goes before covering,making sure the scrap doesn't extend over the rib top.
Johnny ace

Return to General Building Questions