1st build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

1st build

Postby edbecky » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 am

My first post on the forum and I just wanted to say hello and let you know what I'm building. I've always had a keen interest in the hobby but my last build was 56 yrs ago. I built smaller models and flew them with hand control(lingo?) as a teenager. I'm currently building the Guillows DC3 and have a renewed interest in the hobby. Not sure what caught my attention on line for this model but I can't get enough of it. I'm about to start details and while not perfect by a long shot I think it's coming along nicely. Learning a lot from this forum and will apply it to my F4U-4 Corsair that I just purchased. There's a lot of options with that kit and I'll decide how much I want to attempt. I'm not interested in flying so I'll probably build for display like the DC3.
Please excuse the long post but it's hard to harness my enthusiasm. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed
edbecky

Re: 1st build

Postby Bis » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:52 pm

Looking good, these thing are addicting.
Bis

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Very nice work,Ed.
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby heywooood » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 am

this is one that's near the top of my list to do - one of these days

meantime - you have a very nice DC3 shaping up here! A very clean build. Please keep us updated on your progress.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby edbecky » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:15 pm

heywooood wrote:this is one that's near the top of my list to do - one of these days

meantime - you have a very nice DC3 shaping up here! A very clean build. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks for the kinds words. Attached pic is the latest. Not as clean as it appears. I'm still learning the fine details of covering and decals. I suspect a little more prep work before the tissue will go a long way. As far as the decals go, I guess a lot of practice will make a difference. I've really enjoyed building this model but hope to do a lot better on the next one. Still need to glue together and a few more details before it hangs from my grandson's ceiling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed
edbecky

Postby heywooood » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:33 pm

a good sanding block is your best friend in balsa modeling - I use two, one is a typical long one with a handle(11" long hardware store type), and the other is about 2-1/2" wide
by 3-1/2" long that I use most frequently. The long one is for shaping and sanding the wing leading edges typically.

Question - what decals come with the DC3 from Guillow's?? I was hoping it had a little of both military C47 insignia and maybe something for a civilian livery but I have no idea what is actually in the box

ALso: your Eastern AL livery looks very good here.. Is that in the box? or did you source those decals for it - or paint it yourself?
heywooood

Postby edbecky » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:52 pm

heywooood wrote: ................. what decals come with the DC3 from Guillow's?? I was hoping it had a little of both military C47 insignia and maybe something for a civilian livery........................your Eastern AL livery looks very good here.. Is that in the box? or did you source those decals for it - or paint it yourself?

I painted the body, pilot windows and wing leading edges. Everything else you see came with the kit. I attached a pic of the decals that come in the box, you can see in the attachment that the decals are both military and civilian. I chose to go with the Eastern decals but I've seen photos of the military paint scheme with the decals included in this kit and they look good. The kit also contains paper cut outs for wheel wells, landing lights, dummy motors and nacelle skirts. I wasn't too keen on the paper but it actually looks pretty good. I'm wrapping it up and will included a final pic when finished.
Ed
edbecky

Postby heywooood » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:55 am

nice !
thanks for taking the time to post the decal set photo - I didn't realize the kit came with the Eastern livery...
heywooood

Postby edbecky » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:11 pm

Beechcraft Bonanza I'm making out of scrap balsa remaining in the Guillows DC3 kit. The plans came from Outerzone. I have enough wood, I was short a little tissue I ordered from Guillows and some other minor items (very fast ship). My quality once again is lacking but it's a lot of fun and good practice for future builds.

Heywood, can you tell me how to post pics of this build on VA besides putting it with the DC3 pics.

Just a couple of items left on the DC3 and I should be finished soon if I don't get distracted again. :D
Ed
edbecky

Postby heywooood » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:27 pm

http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/help.html

It's not difficult - but it is a couple of steps. Follow the link to their 'Help' page and the instructions are clearer than I could could have described
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:31 pm

VA has no entries for Outerzome - but you can PM James Good or 'jgood' and he can add anything you like to the listing..
heywooood

Postby edbecky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 am

Update on the Beechcraft Bonanza. Tried filling, needs more sanding block for sure. Fun project. I'm gonna call the DC3 finished. I might try to build another scratch build for practice before I tackle the Guillow's Corsair.
Ed
edbecky

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Last time I was in England I witnessed a very nice Guillow's DC-3 that had been converted to R/C, electric power, complete with retracts. There is a build log at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3258867-Guillows-Kit-804-DC-3-R-C-Conversion#post41400859 (Not the one in England.) Now if you want a challenge...

KF
kittyfritters

Postby edbecky » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 am

kittyfritters wrote:Last time I was in England I witnessed a very nice Guillow's DC-3 that had been converted to R/C, electric power, complete with retracts. There is a build log at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3258867-Guillows-Kit-804-DC-3-R-C-Conversion#post41400859 (Not the one in England.) Now if you want a challenge...

KF

Thanks for the link. It reminded me that I needed a door. I also added the EAL decal above the door and the 344 number on the front. It would be a challenge to make it airworthy but I'm probably a little old to learn to fly it and risk all the hard work.
I might put some rubber in the Beechcraft and give it a try.
Ed
Ed
edbecky

Postby edbecky » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm

One more scratch build from left over DC3 wood for the experience. I even tried to fly this one. Good for about 6 feet. So much for flying. I'm going to paint this one for the practice and move on to my Corsair. I figure Guillow's has a lot more kits to get better with. This was another PDF file from Outerzone called the Zippy. 12 inch wing span.
Ed
edbecky

Next

Return to General Building Questions