SE-5 How to secure guy wires

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

SE-5 How to secure guy wires

Postby George Daddis » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm back to finishing my SE-5; all "tissued", decaled, details built and ready for assembly.

My puzzle is how to secure the ends of the guy wires. On the rudder and stabilizer I put in stubs of straight pins to wrap the thread, but that does not look like the way to go for between the wings.

What is the process you folks use?

Thanks for any help!
George Daddis

Re: SE-5 How to secure guy wires

Postby heywooood » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 pm

see if this works for you..
in your case you will likely be drilling into the struts at the wing joint or into the wing rib at the strut joint I suppose..Either way this method can work for you
with practice and careful handling
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/y ... 5141284/25
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby George Daddis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks, that was helpful.

I've put some guy wires in so far (I go weeks without working on the model) and put in straight pin stubs first and then wrapped the thread around those posts. Your method seems to be a better way.
Either way, I have to make sure there is some balsa beneath the connection point.
George Daddis

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:48 pm

I've attached numerous different types of rigging points to the struts, and used the supplied control line string for rigging. If you pre stretch it, it holds length and is useful for setting washout/correcting warps, for a flying model. My SE5a has small nylon eyelets attached to the struts with CF wrap, which were designed as pushrod wire guides. A double knot with a tiny dab of glue keeps the string knot tight. If you don't like the tie off adjustment, you can cut off the string with an exacto knife, and try again. Drilling holes through the struts makes it more difficult to route rigging, as well as when you have to cut it off and try again, if you don't like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Konrad » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 pm

Bill do you have a source for the nylon eyelets?
Konrad

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:59 am

The eyelets are pushrod guides that came with the GWS Slow Stick kits. Made lot of use over the years with the molded plastic hardware included with those kits. I'm sure there are plenty of other similar things that would work or could be fabricated for eyelets.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions