Trying to find wooden propeller

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Trying to find wooden propeller

Postby Bis » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello all,
I am currently building the SE5 and then the Fokker. These will be for display only and I'd like them to have a realist looking wood prop. I tried carving one with not to much succes. Is there any company out there that makes realistic looking wood props? I found a few that are for actual flight and don't look like something from 1918. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bis
Bis

Re: Trying to find wooden propeller

Postby Chris A. » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 pm

You have a challenge in that the SE5a series aircraft had some with 4 bladed propellers. However there are plans on the web for the Seimans Schukert DIII ;ste WWI german fighter which has plans for a four blade build up propeller. Once you find the plan, you'll have to scale it up to meet the scale size for the SE5. It is a laminate that you could try a scale run with heavy paper or light 1/16 balsa for the laminates. It would be a real project, but the the results using light and dark wood could be spectacular. I've seen it done and it sets off a model quite well. I suggest this as I know of no source for the scale propeller you need for the model.
Chris A.

Postby Bis » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. Some of the Se5a models came with 2 bladed props. I tried carving a prop from 1/2inch balsa with no luck. I looked on another forum and found what the original props looked like and they are not what the instructions show but I not going to be that picky, I just want anything but plastic. Again, thanks for the reply.
Bis

Postby Squid61 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:13 pm

If it's a static model you might consider a laminated cardboard prop.
Squid61

Postby Bis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Squid61, thanks for the reply, where would I find a laminated cardboard prop?
Bis

Postby Squid61 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Bis wrote:Squid61, thanks for the reply, where would I find a laminated cardboard prop?

You build it up. A few pieces of white cardstock, dampened, shaped and bent around a jar or bottle. To get the laminated wood effect you can stain each lamination to varying degrees with tea or coffee before gluing them up. If you prefer to carve one I'd suggest something other than balsa, perhaps clear pine/spruce or basswood. Balsa is so soft it is hard to carve, tends to "bunch up" in front of the blade.
Squid61

Postby Bis » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Squid61, again,thanks for the reply. I will give it a try again. I was just hoping someone made a prop ready to go but I guess not.
Bis

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Some hobby shops have Zinger, Master Airscrew, and other wooden props in stock, some sitting there for years. Find one close to what you want, strip off the finish, reshape the tips, and restain.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Bis » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:05 am

Thanks for the reply, I checked with the nearest hobby shop (90miles away) and they don't have any. I looked on line and the few I found listed them by a number such as 20. I don't know what size that is. I'm going to try carving another one. Thanks again.
Bis

Return to General Building Questions