Recommendations please

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Recommendations please

Postby Squid61 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Any recommendatations for a rubber powered kit to fly on a fixed-pole tether. I would assume a heavier center wing might be best but really don't know, never tried this before, nor do I know if ROG or hand launch is better.
Squid61

Re: Recommendations please

Postby Blacksheep214 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:28 am

Squid61 wrote:Any recommendatations for a rubber powered kit to fly on a fixed-pole tether. I would assume a heavier center wing might be best but really don't know, never tried this before, nor do I know if ROG or hand launch is better.

I can't believe 57 views and no response. I have absolutely no experience with flying a rubber powered model on a fixed pole, nor have I heard of anyone doing it. But I would assume that heavier center would be better as well. About the launching methods, I would rather ROG one that try to hand launch it. If you decide to hand launch, I would go ahead and stretch the line to the furthest extent, and then throw it to avoid getting the line tangled up, and avoid any snapping of the line by the plane once it reaches full travel.
Blacksheep214

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Squid61 wrote:Any recommendatations for a rubber powered kit to fly on a fixed-pole tether. I would assume a heavier center wing might be best but really don't know, never tried this before, nor do I know if ROG or hand launch is better.

When we do round the pole flying we launch ROG. The pole is about 36 inches tall and fitted to a plywood base that is weighted to keep it from traveling. On top of the pole is a nail sticking up. Use a box nail with a head, not a brad. The tether is a light line, usually about 15 feet long, with a paper clip tied at each end. The model has a paper clip glued to the wing tip in line with the center of gravity. To fly, slip the paper clip at one end of the line over the nail, gently pull the line taught and attach the paper clip on the other end of the line to the clip on the wing tip of the wound model. Set the model on the floor, keeping the line taught, aim the model slightly out of the circle of flight (that is very important to keep the line taught at take off) and release the model. Two lines can be used at the same time, from opposite sides of the pole, to hold races.

You need a model that will reliably ROG. You might want to practice this with Jetstreams or Strato Streaks before trying a built up model. Anything similar to the 600 series Piper and Cessna should work well. I haven't tried them but the 900 series models should work well.

Hope this helps.

Howard
(kittyfritters)
kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:07 am

The Black Sheep Exhibition Squadron has a Round the Pole Speed contest coming up in the next few months. A typical rubber powered speed model will be about 22 inches long, have about a 9 inch wing span and a 4 bladed prop. In round-the-pole contests they have landing gear since ROG is required. The speeds are amazing. I will post details on this thread.

Howard
(kittyfritters)
kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:46 am

Here are the preliminary rules set for the Rubber RTP Speed event.

RUBBER POWERED RTP SPEED EVENT RULES
    (Preliminary)

Pole
      The pole will be three feet tall with a headed nail in the top.
      The line will be fine sewing thread with a paper clip at each end as a swivel and a hook. The swivel to hook length, including the paper clips is 10 feet. This gives a circle of 62.83 feet.
      A 1/8 inch high, foam, curb is placed across the path of the flying circle at one side as a timing point.
      Three people with stop watches will do the timing unless there is an electronic timing system

Models

Classes

Covered motor
        “Plausible scale” (i.e. must have a cockpit)
        Motor completely enclosed by fuselage
        Flying surfaces built up and tissue covered
        Landing gear has rolling wheel(s)
        Detachable dollies allowed
        (If you think you can make that work!)
        Hook attaches at wing tip

Unlimited
        Motor sticks allowed
        Landing gear has rolling wheel(s)
        Detachable dollies allowed
        (If you think you can make that work!)
        Hook attaches at wing tip
    Competition

For a qualifying flight the model must ROG, from the floor, from any point past the curb and must be airborne and clear the curb at the end of the first lap.
      The timing starts when the model crosses the curb at the end of the first lap. The model is timed for the second and third lap and the speed is calculated.
      Winner in each class is the fastest speed.

These rules are preliminary and will be revised after flight testing and experimentation.

KF
    kittyfritters

Postby Squid61 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks, some good information here.
    Squid61

Return to General Building Questions