Aeronca Champion Kit 301 LC

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Aeronca Champion Kit 301 LC

Postby Squid61 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Back in '55-'57 I was in the Civil Air Patrol and received flight training in a USAF surplus Aeronca L-16. Nostalgia has set in so I'm going to build the Guillow's version of the Aeronca Champion and detail it with the grey color scheme and CAP insignia (as I remember them) that we flew then. The only CAP decals I could find that fit my need were way overpriced so I downloaded and printed some that I can cut out, attach and then clear coat the model (no weight issue, it's a display only). If anyone has built this plane and discovered any "gotchas" I'd appreciate a heads up.
Squid61

Re: Aeronca Champion Kit 301 LC

Postby Squid61 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:38 am

The first thing I have found is an unnecessary splitting of the fuselage frames. Not only does this add a level of difficulty in getting a trued frame, it adds the weight of additional glue.
Squid61

Re: Aeronca Champion Kit 301 LC

Postby Squid61 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Second note; be prepared to use filler blocks since some of the laser cut parts are undersized. In particular the part "H" which form the cabin window area and are the prime wing support are too short. Couldn't have picked a worse part to have to shim. I wouldn't even consider flying this model. It appears Laser Cutting is a more precise means of producing ill-fitting parts.
Squid61

Return to General Building Questions