1st Model after 50 years - Spitfire

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

1st Model after 50 years - Spitfire

Postby George Daddis » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:22 pm

First post by a "newbie" on this site.
What's changed after half a century? Not a lot; Guillow's models are pretty much the same (except for die cutting :) .)
I did stumble on the finish, the dopes and paints I used to use are no longer available.
I did the seal the balsa and stick the tissue with SIG Nitrate dope and applied 3 coats of 50-50 dope/acetone to the shrunk tissue. Colors were the issue. I brushed the base coat on with Tamiya Acrylic but then locally could only get Model Master enamel for the 2nd color (tan). (I knew it was bad practice to mix paints but this model was an experiment for me.)
Decals were brittle; I ended up painting the rear white stripe with enamel. (I have ordered decal setting solution for next time.)
My sons chided me for using the old Testors wood model cement; I'm told SuperGlue is the best now (I did try Gorilla SuperGlue to attach the cockpit but found the fumes clouded the plastic.)

I'm about to start an SE-5 and have a few questions.
1. It's pretty much a single color; would Krylon Acrylic spray work?
- clear as a first coat on the tissue
- flat green for final?
2. What is the recommended SuperGlue for balsa models?

I helped my grandson build a Javelin to fly; we used 50-50 Elmers to adhere the tissue; I plan to do that for the SE 5 also. Any concerns?

I've attached photos of the final result; not bad for an old timer :)

P.S. It looks like I have to study up on how to attach photos. :(
George Daddis

Re: 1st Model after 50 years - Spitfire

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:09 pm

Welcome back to the hobby after your hiatus.

A few things have changed, but they are significant. Super glue is one of the big ones. There are special super glues for balsa models, in different thicknesses, (Use Medium to start with.) that are available in model hobby shops, or, if there are no such things in your area, (Another of the changes is how scarce model airplane hobby shops are.) the can be found on the Internet. The trick is to use the Cyanoacrylate glue with an accelerator (kicker) which makes it harden immediately and kills the odor. Always use CA and kicker in a well ventilated area. An episode of CA poisoning, from inhaling it too closely is very unpleasant. And, although the kicker comes in a spray bottle, don't spray it. Obtain a dribble bottle with a 0.010 tubular nozzle and apply it drop by drop from that. You don't need much of either the glue or the kicker.

My wife is allergic to nitrate dope so I use glue stick, (permanent not 'school'), to adhere the tissue, water or rubbing alcohol to shrink it, and Krylon artist's fixative, #1305,to fix the tissue. The #1305 is glossy and UV resistant while #1311 is matte. I don't know if the #1311 is UV resistant. The Krylon is not as waterproof as dope, but almost any colored paint, acrylics, enamel, floral spray, even dope will go over it. Usually use colored tissue but when I paint I airbrush with acrylic airbrush inks or use Design Master floral spray. Both, applied carefully, are very light.

For the SE5 I would check the Easy Built selection of tissues and use a linen colored tissue (It's not white!) on the undersides of the wings and stabilizer, and an appropriate olive green for the rest of the model.

Hope this helps. Enjoy yourself!

Keep 'Em Flying!

Howard
(kittyfritters)
kittyfritters

Postby akjgardner » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Welcom back to the hobby, are you planning on rubber power or converting to RC, I power alot of my Guillows models with either old cox engines or the newer Norvels.
akjgardner

Postby George Daddis » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:40 pm

I am currently building as static models; I put on some details (aerial, cannon etc) that wouldn't survive a flight.

This is pretty fragile.
Spitfire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Daddis

Postby Chris A. » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Very nicely done. Great camera and camo work.
Chris A.

Postby mrappe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Great job! I am currently building this same kit. I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer the camouflage pattern and paint it. I have an air brush and brushes but not sure which to use .
This is my second kit (First was the Hellcat) and would like it to look nice for display. How did you get or make the prop?

Mike
mrappe

Postby George Daddis » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:15 am

Mike,
I painted the tan over the grey free hand. I ignored the camo pattern; I just made it look like clouds :).

I looked for props but did not find any in hobbyshops or the internet so I carved them from thick pieces of balsa using the pattern in the kit (trace the pattern on two sides and carve away).
The biggest puzzle was how to mount the props to the thin nose cone and then that assembly to the fuselage.

My solution was overly complicated; I filled the inside front of the nose cone with balsa, cut holes for the 3 prop stems, glued the props on, and then continued to fill out the cone with balsa so it was "solid". I carved a plug (like a top hat) that would fit into and flush with fuselage nose (but didn't glue it in yet) and drilled a small hole thru the center. A toothpick glued into the nosecone became the propeller shaft and I assembled the plug and nosecone (no glue). I then cemented a very small circular stopper on the shaft on the far side of the plug (allowing the prop to turn in the plug with a friction fit of the toothpick.) The plug was then glued into the fuselage nose. Rube Goldberg would have been proud!

(But the hobby would be no fun if everything were TOO easy :) )
George Daddis

Postby Scott » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 am

Great looking Spitfire,George.

Scott
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Return to General Building Questions