Turning a 905 Mustang into a Razorback

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Turning a 905 Mustang into a Razorback

Postby Blacksheep214 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:41 am

What is the best material to use to turn a D model Mustang into a B Mustang? I thought about using foam, but thought it would be difficult to sand. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Blacksheep214

Re: Turning a 905 Mustang into a Razorback

Postby MKelly » Sun May 27, 2018 3:30 pm

Here's my recommendation: find a decent side view of the B and scale it to match the size of the 905 plan. Measure the height of the B's fuselage at the locations of formers G, J and L, then draw new formers that match the B's height and the Guillows plan width (where the former meets the fuselage sides) and have a nice curve to match the fuselage sections. Cut the new formers from scrap sheet, glue them to the fuselage in place of the kit parts, then sand in notches for the stringers and glue in the stringers. You'll also need to change the vertical fin to match the B's fuselage profile and get rid of the angled extension on the front of the fin.

Hope this helps,

Mike
MKelly

Re: Turning a 905 Mustang into a Razorback

Postby Blacksheep214 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:42 pm

MKelly wrote:Here's my recommendation: find a decent side view of the B and scale it to match the size of the 905 plan. Measure the height of the B's fuselage at the locations of formers G, J and L, then draw new formers that match the B's height and the Guillows plan width (where the former meets the fuselage sides) and have a nice curve to match the fuselage sections. Cut the new formers from scrap sheet, glue them to the fuselage in place of the kit parts, then sand in notches for the stringers and glue in the stringers. You'll also need to change the vertical fin to match the B's fuselage profile and get rid of the angled extension on the front of the fin.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Much appreciated Mike. I cut the fresh ribs from scratch, and added them on. Just finished the model today, so I will post pics later so you can see how it turned out! Thanks again!

Sean
Blacksheep214

Return to General Building Questions