substitutes for dope

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

substitutes for dope

Postby mike158 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 am

Will enamel work?
mike158

Re: substitutes for dope

Postby Balsa Pilot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:04 am

As my Good friend Tom Arnold told me, "in this hobby there are 100 ways to accomplish the same goal", and he was 100% correct. Enamel MAY POSSIBLY work. Having said that, ask yourself what do you want the enamel to accomplish? Is it simply to paint the fabric/tissue already attached and shrunk to the frame? Or are you trying to substitue dope for enamel in its more common uses like attaching tissue to frame or possibly strengthening already attached and shrunk tissue?
Pretty open question.Being a tad more specific with your question will help you get a much more helpful answer
There is model airplane dope, and EZ dope, thinned white glue, Krylon sprays UHU/Elmers glue stick, Michael's floral sprays, as you see there are plenty of alternatives.
Balsa Pilot

Postby mike158 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:33 pm

I am building a Guillows F4U-4 and covering it with balsa wood only.
mike158

Postby Blacksheep214 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Me, when I put the tissue on, I use 50/50 water and Elmer's white glue to attach the tissue to the frame. Spray with water spiked with a little alcohol to aid drying. Then, I give it a good coat of clear acrylic that can be found at my local paint shop. Then paint on over that. Works really well, and I don't like messing with success! :D I have only used enamel in the form of enamel paint, so as a dope substitute I have no idea. But I am sure it might work. If you don't like it, rip it off and go again.
Blacksheep214

Return to General Building Questions