Kit WW-12 Halberstadt CL.II Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Kit WW-12 Halberstadt CL.II Build

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 am

The Halberstadt has been out of production since the late '60s I believe, and along with the other five of the 18" WW I kits that we're discontinued at that time (six more remained in production until the mid-late '80s), they fetch upwards of $70-80 on eBay. Fortunately, Dave Cowell at DPC Models Aero-werkes http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/SRKS.html sells short kits of all the 18" WW I series for a very reasonable $18, so I didn't have to break the bank to build this one. The short kits came with beautifully laser cut parts that were of much better quality than any die cut wood I've found in old kits, some prop hardware and patterns to make a prop and cowl, and a CD with a PDF of the plans and decals. I printed the plans on my regular inkjet printer and taped them together, so there was no need to pay a bunch of money getting them printed. As for strip stock, I have plenty of that.
The kit so far has gone together beautifully. The laser cut parts are a joy to work with!
Now that the frames are done, it's on to covering. I really love the WW I kits, and can't give a more ringing endorsement of the work Dave Cowell is doing to keep them affordable to build. I'll have updates soon!
Arlo DiPasquale

Re: Kit WW-12 Halberstadt CL.II Build

Postby kartman24 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Lovely job, i have a couple of these WW1 laser short kits from DPC, any more progress i am interested to see this one done..............Martin
kartman24

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm

kartman24 wrote:Lovely job, i have a couple of these WW1 laser short kits from DPC, any more progress i am interested to see this one done..............Martin

I haven't made any progress recently, I've been busy with applying to law school. When I start covering, I'll be sure to post some updates!
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby kartman24 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks, look forwa
rd to them................Martin
kartman24

Postby 42swing » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Ah, brings back memories. I built all of the set back in the 60s as a boy. Recently picked up the whole set of 12 in original boxes including the Halberstadt, Pfaltz, and Bristol Scout off e-bay for a steal. I will build them when I can finally get to my workbench.
42swing

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Fri May 01, 2020 10:56 pm

Well, I finally have some updates on the Halberstadt. I covered it today and began assembly. My covering is getting better, but still a bit rusty after two and a half years off! I should have this one wrapped up tomorrow!
IMG_20200501_222200.jpg

IMG_20200501_222200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Sat May 02, 2020 2:57 pm

I finished her up this morning! Overall happy with how she looks, but my wingtip covering could definitely use some practice! I really love the Guillow's 18" WW I series, they're fun to build and look awesome. If Guillow's ever brings them back, it would be gret, but the short kits from Aerowerkes are excellent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby Oldyzracer1 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Impressive!The decals look great, too.
Oldyzracer1

Return to General Building Questions