BIrds of prey attacking flying models?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

BIrds of prey attacking flying models?

Postby ekram » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:48 pm

HI, I have never had this experience myself, but I recall reading an account of a peanut scale model being attacked by a large bird of prey thinking it was its next meal. Of course by the time the bird figured that the model was not going to be something edible, the damage was already done. Has anyone had any similar experiences with large birds of prey attacking their flying models?
ekram

Re: BIrds of prey attacking flying models?

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Back in 2006 I was flying my 900 series Typhoon at the Grassy Knoll (Sepulveda Basin) and it got into a thermal. While I watched it circle a red tail hawk flew over and circled in the thermal with it. It looked over the model very carefully and decided that it wasn't something edible or threatening and flew away. So, I suppose it does happen.

Howard
(kittyfritters)
kittyfritters

Postby ekram » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:31 pm

My concern is the bird of prey making contact with the model. Especially after putting so much time and effort into building it. With their powerful claws, it does not take much effort on their part to destroy the delicate structure. Anyway, thanks for your response.
ekram

Postby MKelly » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 am

Not too much trouble with larger birds of prey, but the barn swallows get quite agitated by the faster free flight models at our local field. I had swarms of them chasing my Scimitar jetcat one morning, and have several videos of them shadowing my Guillows Skyraider, Airlane Skyshark and West Wings Tempest.
MKelly

Return to General Building Questions