Old Newbie.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Old Newbie.

Postby CedarBranchFisher » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Finally getting back to modeling, first time was back about 71, built a Messerschmidt I bought from the ship's store. I had it about 80% finished when we hit what is known as the "Roaring 40's" didn't have the plane secured and it looked like it had been attacked by the Red Baron. I was getting ready to transfer from Seattle to Fort Macon CG Base in NC and knew the model would never survive a trip like that. Now, I am working on a P-51 and see how modeling had changed. Dope is no longer the go-to, and you can even put electric motors on a balsa model, RC or EFF. Thanks to Guillows for this forum, i am getting a lot of good information, sometimes TMI, it seems. Eight inches of snow on the ground makes this a good time to work indooors. Ya'll have a goodern.
Retired, relaxed, and keepin busy playin...until my wife catches me.
CedarBranchFisher

Re: Old Newbie.

Postby heywooood » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 pm

welcome back to the fray - don't hesitate to post build pics or ask questions
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Good post CedarBranchFisher. heywoood is correct about posting builds. I assume you are building the 400 series P51 and not the 900 series P51D. Although i don't know much about the 400 series kits. I do enjoy reading builds about them.
WIDDOG

Postby CedarBranchFisher » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:49 pm

It is the 400 series P-51. I bought it at Hobby Lobby with no clue as to the actual price, and after I got it home I realized the price was for the 500 models. They priced it wrong, I got it out of the box and there was this BIG airplane kit. I started the kit several years ago while on vacation and it rained A LOT. So I got a lot done then came home and put it away. Now I am hot to get it done. have a goodern.
CedarBranchFisher

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Q is this model being built for display or flying?
WIDDOG

Postby CedarBranchFisher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm not real sure. would like to see how it flies before making a display. How well do these models hold up to flying? Crash a lot, get damaged a lot?
CedarBranchFisher

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 pm

The first flying model is probably in for a beating. I don't really know the 400 series kits. I've seen some amazing things on this forum with the 400 series kits. From what i read they really need to be built lite for flying rubber power.

For first time flying i recommend the 900 series kits. I also recommend Don Ross's book Rubber Powered Model Airplanes.

https://youtu.be/nHXhz9eQK9g
I am now working with EFF.
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Old Newbie,

I think it is good to have an idea that you are building for FF. You will learn that you will build it differently if it is strictly for display. I have built and flown these 400 series right out of the box. It was my Mustang that I had my best flight in those early attempts with the the kit prop and rubber. I would leave off the landing gear if you plan to fly Rubber FF.

The important thing is build it straight and balance the model. To do this I put a short rubber motor in the plane to hold the prop. Then go though your test glides. I want my models to glide straight. Start low to the ground...eventually from over your head a nice toss... I would hope for a 10 to 1 glide ratio.

You can look though the forum here and learn how to make the model lighter and better, but I do not want to overwhelm you if you do not have a specific question.

I have made every model in the 400 series (each a few times). The Mustang has been a good flyer for me. I think if you follow the build instructions in the box you should have a nice 10-15 second flight that would stay inside a school yard or small field.

Mitch

PS Here is a picture of the last Mustang I built. I used domestic colored tissue paper. This was built with some contest wood, a removable wing and adjustable nose block, rear peg moved forward, tan rubber and a 9 inch Peck prop. You can build yours right out of the box. This was built for Competition.

Mitch

Postby CedarBranchFisher » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks, MItch. I like the color scheme, wouldn't even want to try a camo paint job.Lot's of good info.
CedarBranchFisher

Postby CedarBranchFisher » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:37 pm

The next three days, rain, so photo-journaling time to post construction photos here. I could not get any UHU glue and being impatient and being old and no longer buy green bananas, I bought some Elmer's X-TREME glue stick, time will tell.
CedarBranchFisher

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:32 pm

I prefer 3m glue sticks, as they seem to stick better.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby CedarBranchFisher » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks, backyard, I will try to find some for my next model. It might be something small and easily repairable to fly a lot with my grandchildren.
CedarBranchFisher

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:55 pm

I use the 'wrinkle free' ones. They come in a 2-pack for 1 - 2 bucks at walmart. They stick well, but be sure to let them dry for at least a few hours (like maybe 3 or 4).
backyardbalsapilot

Return to General Building Questions