flying 4500 mini models Hellcat? and lightest motor peg

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

flying 4500 mini models Hellcat? and lightest motor peg

Postby krob » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:34 pm

After a couple years of inactivity, I thought I'd jump back in with a quick easy one. I modified the model a little and covered it with tissue, because I wanted something to look authentic on it. Oh, and I used tan rubber. Anyways, when it came time to trim the model, I put fifty winds on it and let it rip. First flight was a promising start. Second Flight and every flight after that, the model would fly straight for a couple seconds then roll over inverted; then fly inverted for a few seconds before nosing in. I'm certainly no pro, but I have built and successfully flown a couple models. I have never had a model want to fly inverted. Any suggestions? Also I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for really light motor pegs. I just finished a 900 series p-51. I've tried cutting up things I've had laying around (wood dowel, carbon tube, and aluminum tube), but they all seem heavy. The lightest was the carbon tube at .5 grams. What do you all use? I'll get picture up, but I need to figure out the whole photo bucket thing again.
krob

Re: flying 4500 mini models Hellcat? and lightest motor peg

Postby krob » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:24 pm

krob

Re: flying 4500 mini models Hellcat? and lightest motor peg

Postby Mitch » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Krob

I like what you did with your mini. I built one when they came out as a curiosity. Not really interested in building them although I am glad the company has an starter model for newbies.

On to you second question. I use Aluminum tube. I never really thought of weighing it as it is a required component in every ff model. I also secure the tube with a slice of rubber fuel line so the tube does not slip out of position. I use a winding stooge and a heavy metal rod goes though the rear peg to secure the model to the jig while I put my 1000+ turns on the motor. I also have a geared mechanical winder with a counter and torque meter on it.

Back to your first question. I would go back to the rubber band that came with the kit. Although I prefer tan rubber for my larger models there has been a lot of debate here over the rubber that Guillow's provides. I believe that Guillow has a reason for the rubber they choose. You will not get as long a run time on their motors but you will get a lot more torque. I believe there models are designed to require that short burt of high torque to get the model up and then have a short fun flight.

Mitch
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions