Before you build a P-40, read this.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Before you build a P-40, read this.

Postby Blucenturion » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Unfortunately the board attachment quota has been reached; anyway, after 90% completion of my 1/16 P-40, the cowl wouldn't fit, the B-1 former is much too large. I had to break down the B-1, all the stringers, and re-build after shaving down the former. New tissue too, natch. Be aware of this when you start your P-40!
Blucenturion

Re: Before you build a P-40, read this.

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:49 pm

The B-1 former is also the wrong shape for the cowl in the 500 series Hurricane. That made for some fun improvisation.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby Blucenturion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:04 am

First thing I'm gonna check going forward. I've a Hellcat next.

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/DUpDA ... 7.jpg.html
Blucenturion

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 am

The P40 cowl being a bit small has been discussed at length. Building any models, these are fits you have to plan and check ahead of time. Tape the firewall formers together and check the fit, then adjust from there, possibly notching in the stringer cuts a bit deeper. For some time I've been adding a second firewall with almost all of the center cut away so as to not add weight, that is undersized by the thickness of the cowling plastic. The precision flush fit looks much better than an overlap. There are numerous ways to key and secure the cowl, as well as gluing stop blocks to the inside of the cowl, so that the rubber motor doesn't stress the thin cowling edge. Another method is gluing a firewall inside the cowling, shaped to match the fuselage firewall, using dowel pins to key the cowling to the fuselage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Blucenturion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Very nice, Bill. What kind of paint do you use? ...Primer?
Blucenturion

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks, I used auto primer only since I had it, and it worked well for the color needed. The other colors were Model Masters enamels applied with an airbrush.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions