Kit #403 Supermarine Spitfire Build for Control Line

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Kit #403 Supermarine Spitfire Build for Control Line

Postby Bluesynk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:59 pm

I received an early Christmas present from eBay, A Cox Tee Dee .051

So now I get to try my hand at control line. I had a Spitfire here waiting for some inspiration. Now I have it. Image
Bluesynk

Re: Kit #403 Supermarine Spitfire Build for Control Line

Postby Bluesynk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:28 pm

Pretty cool vintage kit. Even has a plywood handle.

A large variation in weight on the sheets.
Image Image

It's all on the heavy side so I sanded a lot. On the plus side I managed to get ALL the pieces out without a knife! These dies were sharp!
Bluesynk

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 pm

That's an early kit with the ply handle. Nice when the die-cut parts are almost like laser cut. I've ran across a few like that. The Spitfire won't mind a bit of weight, with 1sq-ft of wing area. I've flown it as an electric r/c model at 14oz, not flying terribly heavy at all.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Bluesynk » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:12 pm

some more pics. Here is the fuselage pinned to the board.
before the infill
After
And the infilled fuselage.
Bluesynk

Postby Bluesynk » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:36 pm

A few more pics. Didn't get any pics from the wing on the board.
on the scale
together
and a full shot

And now i'm out of glue, and i'm getting to the control line questions. I've done some reading but any advice is welcome. I need a tank, engine mount, prop, engine wrench, lead outs, and a glow clip. Anything else? I have a plane, a .051 td, and some 30% nitro. And I could use some trim advice for control line. Adding weight to outboard wing , thrust line, rudder angle, and such.
Bluesynk

Postby Mitch » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Nice build. Interesting on the weight... I want to build another Spitfire for Rubber FF, as the one I built was the worst flyer of the series for me. That was built right out of the box with all kit supplies. I learned a lot since then on Rubber FF. My goal is about 80 grams for these 400 series.

The last gaser I built was almost 50 years ago. Seems I remember I planed out, installed and plumbed the fuel tank before I filled in the fuselage. I had an .049 from a destroyed plastic trainer. Never flew my FW, just got another plastic flyer back then. The only thing I remember I did was to offset the rudder. Fuselage and wing filled in and solid balsa rudder, as per instructions.

Model still collecting dust at my Parent's house in the basement. Covered with kit paper and colored Aero Gloss Dope.
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions