Today's Hobbies F-4 Build (modified)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Today's Hobbies F-4 Build (modified)

Postby heywooood » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:18 pm

Because the stringers on these kits are 3/32" sq. I used 3/32" thick sheet balsa for the infil.
These kits are slightly easier to infil because the formers are not notched. The infil runs can be 4-6" long and span several formers if need be. With a kit that has notched formers, the infil pieces have to fit between the stringers and formers. It
adds quite a bit of time to the process but is well worth the effort. You also learn how to streamline the process after a while and it isn't so daunting.
Because the stringers on most guillow kits are 1/16" sq. I typically use 1/16" sheet stock for infil.
Once you have the major components completely infilled you begin the process of sanding, puttying, and sealing.
When all of that is completed I detail the cockpit and landing gear, cut out and detail the gear bays and depending on how I wasnt to display it - the flaps, wing slats and air brakes are cut out and positioned.
I agree that a well prepped but unpainted infilled fuselage looks good.
The idea is to get all surfaces as smooth and glossy as possible before painting. I use a small block down to 320 grit - then polish the wood with a folded piece of ultra fine 1500 grit. The shine you get exposes any defects in the wood surface that might telegragh through the painted finish.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby Coloradoken » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:41 pm

The Guillows kits are hard to beat for completeness and accuracy but all contain errors or omissions. These are opportunities to use your own imagination and skills. I usually search the web and get all manner of color schemes and details that I have not thought of previously. These ideas and options add so much to the build. But then thats 1/2 the fun. :D
Coloradoken

Postby heywooood » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:39 pm

I love the Guillows kits for their accuracy - the DHC-2 Beaver is a prime example of Guillows engineering.
heywooood

Postby Mitch » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:57 am

Very Nice. I really like the landing gear.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby heywooood » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:43 am

thank you Mitch. The aluminum tubing can make a huge difference on a model - especially in these larger scales
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm

heywooood

Previous

Return to General Building Questions