Kit 1402 F14 Tomcat

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Kit 1402 F14 Tomcat

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I ordered a Guillow's F14 kit from AC Supply. I am going to attempt to convert it to a flying RC model. I will use prop and wing motors via Air Hogs style.

I had built a reduced to Peanut Size F14 EFF. Electric Free Flight. It flew very well.Image
WIDDOG

Re: Kit 1402 F14 Tomcat

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:15 am

I am going to try two Horizon Hobby Champ motors. I am going to also try using try using Horizon Hobby B17 propellers. I am thinking about using a 5 amp ESC.

I'm not sure what servos to use for Elevon control. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:55 pm

I decided to order two 9g. Servos from Hobby King. They say they are Jr style conectors. So i also ordered some Molex adaptors.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Another option is two brushless motors.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:35 pm

The HK servos have been reliable for me so far, unlike the micro linear servos. I used them on an elevon setup. Really nice programming too with the DX6, versus the hack program that the DX6i needed for the trims to work properly. I've been using a diode drop to reduce BEC voltage to around 4.3V, which probably is a good thing, as I'm not aware of a rating for them that specs reliability on 5V. The different servo brands are a bit of a pain with different polarities and connectors, but I've been able to find charts such as on RCG that provide the info. I've found that while not correct, after carefully removing the pins in the HK servo 1.25mm plug and reinstalling for Spektrum polarity, that they can be plugged (read jammed) :D into a JST 1.5mm socket and will work fine. into The thinner foam wing sections definitely have their benefits on smaller models. As much as I like to stick to being a balsa purist, the last micro jet I built performed really well with a thin foam wing with slight under camber.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks Bill for posting about the servos. I'm optimistic about this build. However, realalisicly i think that it may take a couple of trail and error. That's ok with me i realy like this model to build.

I have seen the Art Tech foam RC F14. The only problem i have is that it may be to large for my soccer flying field

Here is a picture of the motor next to a Wl Toys RC model. I decided to go with the brushless motors.

. Image
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:14 pm

The model arrived already from AC Supply. It was packed great.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:19 am

I got the Stabilizers rough framed. The wood is good and the die cut parts doing nicely. I don't have any questions yet. However, when it comes time to install the Evelons I will.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:55 pm

I set a motor and prop on the unfinished wing to give an idea as to what I'm attempting.

[URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/widdog/media/20161007_181319.jpg.html]Image[/URL,
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm not sure but i think it's plausible to get this model flying. Here's another pic of the motors. I am thinking about using the EFD instead of the Horizion Hobby's B17 propellers.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Love to see experimenting with EDFs. One of these days I'll have to build a Guillow's EDF jet. FWIW, I try to use the light, inrunner small fans whenever possible. Not as much power as the heavier outrunner small EDFs, but more efficient where you can use a lighter batt and ESC, as well as the fan itself being lighter. Models this size are definitely possible with small, light 30mm fans. I finally made a video of the little balsa fuse/foam wing ME262 with 30mm EDFs using Feigao inrunners that I've had for a decade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvzs9kG1QeA

The little DH106 Comet has a single EDF30 with the tiny Tower Hobby Sabre motor. Not as much power as the heavier Horizon UMX jet's motor, but really light, and the ducting efficiency is terrible!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly55BD4rsfw

Just got home from flying an EDF40 Yak23 that I just finished building, using a Hyperion inrunner fan. The model uses Guillow's keel-and-former type construction. The fan is much lighter than the outrunner fans, and runs at lower current levels, using a lighter ESC and battery. Not as much power as the heavier outrunner fans, but more efficient. The AUW is a hair under 8oz, which makes it an easy launcher and lander, as well as the ability to fly at low speeds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VkcS3HmL7I
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Wow super cool post and videos! Thanks for posting Bill. I would love to see one of you advanced modelers build and fly a Guillow's Jet. I don't know if i can get R done on the first attempt. If not i will make adjustments and try it again. Building the F14 kit is a very fun build.

I was able to find a YouTube video of a flying Guillow's Jet. https://youtu.be/OZA9OqCGdKQ
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks. One thing that works well on small models is the thin foam wings, like on your FF Tomcat. As much as I like to stay a balsa purist, for small models the thin foam wings work well. The 262 has a thin inboard foam wing section with an undercamber, with the outboard section using thin plate undercambered wings pirated from a FlyZone micro. The Comet uses 1/4" depron, with a slight undercamber from the center of the airfoil toward the rear. The Yak 23 uses a thin Selig S3021 section.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:14 pm

I think i have part number F8 the way i want it. I hot glued the ESCs to F8. Figuring out where to put stuff is probably my biggest problem. What used to be my biggest problem was not knowing how to fly 4ch. I have been practicing i rate myself a solid D Leaguer now as a RC pilot.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Very true on gear placement for CG setting, even tougher with EDF. With these small jobs, you really try to avoid ballast. It's easy if there's something close to compare with or if you've build almost the exact same thing before, but that's often not the case. Even with similar high wing passenger planes, just a small difference can really throw things. My Guillows Cub worked out perfectly. Built a Comet C150 next, and had room built for the battery compartment far more forward than I needed. Ended up using the very rear of the available space, for the battery. The nose gear adds weight, but it was accounted for during the entire process. It was as if the weight came out of nowhere. The jet I just finished looked like I would have no problem installing the battery in the front canopy area. Ended up having to extend the battery box forward using "ship in the bottle" building techniques, to avoid cutting a hatch.
Bill Gaylord

Next

Return to General Building Questions