Kit 1402 F14 Tomcat

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Kit 1402 F14 Tomcat

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:55 pm

Great post Bill very interesting. I can see myself doing this build again. I'm trying to keep my electronics near the CG and use the forward battery as balancing weight. I am thinking on this build to velcro the battery underneath the nodel so i can make adjustments. Than maybe next build try a battery compartment.

Picture of my Elevons. This of course is different than an EFF model. I don't know for sure but seems like it would work. Image
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:40 pm

This kit has always been a fun biuld. I remember when they first came out. They said they where for display only. Which makes sense because they didn't have Lipo batteries back than. Also of course no youtube either. Much later about ten years ago Air Hogs made a F14. That is where i got the idea for the wing motors. I like the wing motors. They can not be seen in flight and they work real well.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm waiting out the arrival of my servos from Hobby King. I'm sure we have all been there before.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:32 am

I'd try the HK 1.7 and 1.9 gram digital servos, if you haven't. Very light. I used them on my Guillow's Cub, and prefer them to the micro linear servos. I've been running an inline diode voltage drop on the BEC, with the servos still plenty fast, as I believe 5V may be on the high end for them. I believe Lemon sells a low cost receiver with 1.25mm pin spacing for use with Spektrum, that they will plug directly into. The servo pins may have to be removed from their connector and reinserted to correct the polarity for Spektrum, but that's about it. The Cub has an HK receiver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks Bill very interesting. I know you have had a lot of success converting Guillow's kits. I don't have much experience and no success at converting Guillow's. Thanks to this forum i have learned a lot. I am very optimistic but realistically i have my doubts that a RC Noob can pull this off. Remember not only do i have to build it i have to fly it.

Anyway i am having a lot of fun and learnng a lot. My servos came today and am resuming the build.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks. Lots of experimenting. We're the few that stick to it, which is what counts. There's not many anymore, and it makes for some pretty boring forums when it's all RTF.

The one reason I keep going back to the weight thing, is that it took me so long to really get onto it myself. In recent times, using a battery/servo/ESC even a gram heavier than needed, is a gram too many, and always avoid ballast. Took me a lot of experimenting, especially with micros, as I like scale details such as infill sheeting, as well as reasonable robustness. What makes things much easier now is that I have achievable specs for small models, which is everything with micros. The 24" Guillow's models are always a favorite, as having a selection of gear that can make 100 grams or better works every time. I still build heavier than some, as I like painted opaque models and at least sheeted noses, on metal skinned subjects.

A few days ago I managed to fly a DH106 Comet, that started out as a total fail. The model was heavy at 18oz, had a fan larger than the ducting could properly handle, and unacceptable batt/ESC weight also. The fuselage mounted fan has massive thrust losses, which is just part of the deal with a scale jet subject. I ripped the gear out, did some calculations based on good known specs, and realized that I could make around 11oz, with a tiny 40mm fan with a 12mm inrunner weighing under an oz, and a much smaller battery/ESC. Even the clear exhaust ducting cover was made from the thin clear acetate that we used for windshields, as plastic weighs. Having a good idea of the T/W ratio required for a model this size with it's new wing loading, it looked feasible. Most of the EDF guys tend to build heavy, with lots of power, which did not work on this subject. Even if I had used a more powerful 40mm fan with an outrunner, the added motor/batt/ESC weight would probably have not paid off. If building light, I've found little advantage to the heavier outrunner fans at 50mm and under, other than speed. Getting the lightest AUW possible worked, with the 33" span and light wing loading of around 8.5oz/sq-ft. At it's low speed, I'd like to rip the 4gm tail servos out and replace them with 1.7gm servos. It had to be flown carefully at it's power level, pretty much just holding the controls at the same position for a continuous pattern. I hope you like this one, as it flew like a free-flight model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rApFCTXHRUY
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:09 am

Wow thanks for posting Bill. That Comet airliner is super cool. Very inspiring stuff! Honestly without your posts i probably would have given up. Your correct about the servos they seem like the right size. I bench tested the servos and they are moving in the correct manner.

WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks. Those little 1.7 and 1.9gm HK digitals are nice, and ample for these models. One good thing is the price these days. I remember paying $25 each for the first Blue Arrow BA2.5 servos, when they first came out. Anything smaller than a GWS Pico was expensive! The little Cirrus servos back then were also costly. I wish I could have some of that money back.
These litte 2.5gm servos have worked well also. They come with the standard S-connector, for people who don't like messing with changing connectors for the micro receivers. I while ago I bought a bag of the 1.5mm JST connectors, and leads with the 1mm connectors for the even smaller UM stuff, so I could swap connectors for use with the smaller receivers.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-25g-ES ... _1532.html
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks Bill for suggesting i fly it like a RC FF model. I totally get that. On the maiden flight i will try to trim in a slight climb and slow right turn.

The build is coming along real well. I have installed the servos and adding the stringers.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Making more progess on the build. Definitely a fun build.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:12 pm

I made some more progress on the build. These are really nice kits and fun to build. I decided though that my next build will be a RC convertion of the Guillow's Cessna 150.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:16 am

After a brief hiatus I'm back.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:01 am

Making more progress with the build.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:04 am

Looks like you're almost there. The C150 will be a good one also. I'm amazed at how well it flies on 3ch, and it's one of my heavier small builds with a sheeted fuse also.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks Bill for all the tech stuff. I got it all together and now the right motor is not working. This may be a deal breaker. Image
WIDDOG

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions