Miss This Forum

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Miss This Forum

Postby davidchoate » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:11 pm

Have not been on this Forum a lot lately. I have been working on larger non scale models to learn to fly better, and gI am tinkering with My Fairain knowledge of aerodynamics better to improve My success rate on My Scale Models. I a, m still tinkering with my Fairchild conversion , and my FW-190 400 series.
davidchoate

Re: Miss This Forum

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:03 am

Yeah there seems to be less going on everywhere. Fewer building on the forums. Speaking of the Fairchild, I finally cut a half moon through the thin ply firewall that has the motor mounted behind it, and adjusted the thrust angle by adding right thrust. I pried the slit with a small screwdriver and then CA glued the slit, while holding the new right thrust setting. Flies much better needing less rudder mix now.

I've been working on a Yak23 jet, framed up using an internet 3-view. Wings with cut-away ailerons built in, for REA control. Spent a while getting the friction out of the w.020" wire "cable" setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:52 am

Are You going to use a little GWS fan in it? I have'nt even thought about trying to do a jet. I'm just starting to get the hang of flying trainers. I'm working on mostly non scale trainer type planes. The old Hobby Lobby Telemaster is My favorite. I have been staying away from scale projects until I get better at flying them. I am tired of spending all that time on details only to crash them. I am still eager to do Guillows RC Conversions. the smaller planes are the most difficult to fly I have found out. I have a Horizon 25" Cub I was using for learning, and it has a nice 6 ch RX in it that will be perfect for a Guillows.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:53 am

The model with have a 12mm Hyperion inrunner powered GWS EDF40 fan. I'm keeping it as light as possible with 1/32" sheet, given it's not terribly powerful. Most of the EDF guys lose interest if you don't make it a brick heavy racer with a powerful fan :shock: but I like slightly slower flying models that are a bit easier to fly/launch/land. I finally took some video of a little ME262 recently that I built almost 10 years ago, with little GWS 30mm fans, back when the 12mm Feigao was about all that was available, and required mounting a new hub in the fan. One of these days I'll have to build one of the little Guillow's jets with a 30mm EDF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvzs9kG1QeA

The small models are fussy, given the precision they require. They won't let you get away with anything. I can remember learning that the hard way, with some of my previous builds. On the other hand, the little Guillows Cub and the smaller Sterling Fokker D8 have proven to be some of the easiest, stable flying models I've flown. I almost can say I prefer the D8, which is generally considered a bit more difficult of a subject. I spent a good bit of time on the parasol wing setting and stab setting on the model. It's quite likely that a mere 1mm change would make the model fly like crap.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:44 pm

nice flight. on the videdo. I have to maiden a couple of planes soon . I tried you method of doing it myself, but it didnt turn out good.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions