Cowl transition

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Cowl transition

Postby elkhart » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:02 am

How do you transition the plastic cowl to the tissue fuselage? Do you cover the seam with tissue? Thanks!
elkhart

Re: Cowl transition

Postby Bluesynk » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:34 am

using plastic cowl you can recess the stringers and or former at the transition so it is flush
Bluesynk

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:22 pm

I make a second firewall which creates a ledge for the cowl to mount on. This firewall is undersized by the thickness of the plastic, for a flush cowl fit with the fuse. This firewall below was undersized a bit more, as the cowls tend to be a bit small. The inset planked front fuse was later sanded flush with the cowl. For stringer and covering, the notches on the front former sometimes need to be cut away a bit deeper, or the fuselage will be too large for the cowl to mate properly. This firewall can also have much of the center cut away if desired, as only the outer rim is required. For cowl fastening, two hard balsa tabs can be glued to the firewall for small screw attachment. The top and bottom portions of this Guillows Cub firewall are flush with the fuselage, as per the full scale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Also, and especially if I was using Rubber power it is not difficult tu make one or two more forward formers, relocating the firewall foeward, and using a noseblock, or the very front of the cowl only. I copied the idea from Dumas models.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions