Finishing method for sheathed surfaces

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Finishing method for sheathed surfaces

Postby donnier » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:50 am

I am currently sheathing (entirely) the Guillow Hellcat airplane with 1/32” balsa wood to provide a more “steel-like” final surface similar to that exhibited by the original plane. I can remove all imperfections left over from this process with fine sandpaper, 0000 steel wool and a bit of putty, but the actual grain in the balsa still remains. Would anyone be aware of a sort of grouting product and/or process (a wipe on/wipe off process of sorts) that would result in a totally smooth surface? Would be most grateful for any information that anyone might have. Thanks!
donnier

Re: Finishing method for sheathed surfaces

Postby Steve Blanchard » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:38 am

The best way I have found to get a glass like finish is to use dope and talcum powder. You just mix some Talcum powder into a small cup of dope or lacquer and then brush it on. You will need to do several coats of this to get rid of the grain and make the surface perfect but it works better than anything else I have tried.
Steve Blanchard

Postby heywooood » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Pactra sanding sealer - there is also a water based product available
It is mfg for use on pinecar derby racers. There are other sanding sealers out there as well.
For best results you would apply 3 or 4 coats with a sanding regimen between each coat
It is a process but it is worth the extra effort
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby tom arnold » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:05 pm

I have had terrible results with the water based sanding sealers as they dry to a slightly rubbery finish and sand poorly. They may "seal" but they don't "sand". My best results have been with the lacquer based sealers as they dry to a hard finish and sand much easier.
tom arnold

Postby Coloradoken » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:02 pm

I've had good luck with a "prime coat" of acrylic after the sanding sealer. 400 grit then paint.
Coloradoken

Return to General Building Questions