N Numbers?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

N Numbers?

Postby H.Dale » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:10 am

I am building a couple of models of airplanes I use to own and have several questions?

What is the best way to create new N Numbers to match the numbers of my planes?

What is the best paint to use for scale looks? The planes are for display. If I use dope where is the best place to purchase it?

I built a Guillow's cub years ago while stationed at Cigli Air Force Base in Turkey. I worked the midnight shift a lot and there was nothing else to do so I would take the plane with me to the duty site and work on it. The Turkish soldiers would all come by to see how it was coming. It's been fun building one again after all of those years.
H.Dale

Re: N Numbers?

Postby David Lewis » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:05 pm

You can use Microsoft Word to lay out the license number. Word has a font option that prints outlines of letters to save ink. Better yet is CAD software if you have it. By cutting out the letters on the print out you can make a stencil. I use the stencil to outline the letters and numbers with a Sanford Sharpie extra fine point felt tip.

If you're going to brush paint, add lots of thinner to dilute the paint, and brush it on as thin as possible, with multiple coats.
Last edited by David Lewis on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Lewis

Postby Mitch » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:02 pm

You will want to dope the paper before you paint it. There are a few ways to go. Lately I use Top Flite LusterKote Crystal Clear # TOPR7501. You should be able to find it at a Hobby Store that sells large RC models. If they do not have it you can ask for them to order it. This is in a 10 oz spay can.

I used to use colored paper (to save weight) but my last build I used Guillow's paper, doped, then painted with Tamiya 'rattle cans' They have a large assortment of Military colors. I painted this model very quickly... Here is my 400 FW:

Markings are all photo copies on bond paper. Crosses are copies of Guillow decals. Red 13, Winged 1 Squadron mark, and tail mark are enlarged copies from reference book. Plane is Heinz Bar's with his 200 victory mark and Iron Cross on rudder.

I did not use any masking as I said I did this very quickly. 2 tone grey topsides, Luftwaffe blue underside. Black exhaust. I was disappointed with the way the yellow 'chin' came out but I was told yellow is a very hard color to work with. My model was made for flight and has suffered some damage. Damage was from a 'blown motor', also cracked the cowl during early trim tests, after that model suffer NO damage during flights. For a display model you could spend more time masking and doing a better paint job.

Have Fun, Mitch

PS Model's best flight was 28 seconds on a rubber motor and 9 inch prop... Model is currently on loan and display at Skyway Hobby Shop in Renton, WA.

Here is an early picture after trim tests and during my early flight and motor tests... After painting model was still in balance and did not add much weight... maybe 1 or 2 grams... I forget. Better flyers than I keep detailed notes... I do not.

Mitch

Postby H.Dale » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks for the help guys. It's been a while since I have worked with dope and tissue.

Mitch I have some bottles of Midwest Aero Gloss clear dope. Should I brush it on full strength or would it be better to thin it and spray it on with an airbrush? If I spray it what mixture would you recommend? I also have a rattle can of white Top Flite LustreKote that I was going to paint my planes with. Will that work okay painting over the dope?
H.Dale

Postby woundedbear » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Hay Mitch! That's a real nice winding stooge you have there 8) , and where did you get your winder?
woundedbear

Return to General Building Questions