Birch vs Poplar plywood vs Balsa wood sheet

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Birch vs Poplar plywood vs Balsa wood sheet

Postby woundedbear » Thu May 26, 2016 1:00 am

One thing I have been meaning to ask. :?: How does Poplar plywood stack up to Birch plywood for model airplane construction. I know that Birch is for firewalls, but what about Poplar plywood (AKA lite ply) for Formers and wing ribs for enlarged Guillows builds. I know that Bill Parker has done some large and incharge builds from Guillow's plans, Bill what do you think of this so called "lite ply" ? You have done a lot of enlarged Guillows builds, if this lite plywood is cut to shape and then preforated. Can it be better than just using medium weight (9 to 12 pound) balsa wood sheet? I know this sounds like another one of my "receding hair brained ideas", and I may have ask this question already :? But I have been thinking about some future build with plans enlarged up from 1/16 scale from 1/8 scale that would include 6 channels with retractable landing gear and flaps :idea: I have also posted a question about carbon fiber tubing. How would carbon fiber tubing stack up agents aluminum tubing for scale oleo struts :?: Not that I'm up for such a build yet but when I've done some basic 4 channel builds I would like to try my hand at something bigger in 1/8 scale and think a Guillow's plan suteiblly modified could work 8) Maybe :? or Maybe not :oops: Any thoughts? :roll:
woundedbear

Return to General Building Questions