Corsair kit 1004 movable parts?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Corsair kit 1004 movable parts?

Postby ksmith0068 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:58 am

Early stages of Corsair kit 1004 "stock" build and I want to add all of the movable parts.

I'm a bit stumped on the movable tail wheel. I can't seem to figure out the correct shape for wire part N17.

Does anyone have any pictures of one they have built that I can use for reference?

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated!
ksmith0068

Re: Corsair kit 1004 movable parts?

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:30 pm

David Duckett has some of the best photos/builds. Not 100% clear on the tailwheel, but maybe some ideas. Personally I would use whatever makes the most sense, possibly using your own design. I built the Hellcat with the same retractable main gear setup, and while it works, it's not exactly silky smooth. http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/image_t ... &offset=60
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:38 am

I have never built that exact kit. Some would be too easy to make RC. like the 1000 and some of the 800 series Kits like the Cessna and Spirit St. Lous look like easy ones, but as Bill said, often it is better to modify the original Plan as they were written so long ago that many more advances and or options are now availabe. And as Mitch often emphazises, these are "multi-purpose" Kits. I expect that it ; no I bet My life that somewhere on the plan sheets there is a detailed view or instructions on the tail wheel, and usually they just stick it into the Rudder, and put a layer of fiberglass cloth for reinforcement. Not knowing what You are intending for this kit (is it display, rubber, electric FF, RC, etc..) it's hard to say what I would do. Duckett's stuff is at the Virtual mAerodrome website if You are interested. They do not Fly, but are amazing easily Museum Quality display Models. David Duckett is like some kind of Guru around here, but He had a falling out with somebody, and not only stopped posting, but had all of His prios posts removed from this forum. I miss His experience, and just looking at His Threads.
davidchoate

Postby ksmith0068 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to put something together using the main plans that seems to work.

Now I am off to start the main landing gear.
ksmith0068

Return to General Building Questions