18 inch WW1 kits

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

18 inch WW1 kits

Postby andywhitam » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:54 pm

I just purchased a Javelin Kit at a yard sale for $1.00. I knew the kit was old but I did not know how old until I opened it.
The paper work inside has copyright 1963.
Now to the real point of this post. It list all the 18 inch wingspan WW1 kits. How many of you can name them all. I have listed them here for you.
Kit WW-1 German Albatross DA5, Kit WW-2 French Nieuport 28, Kit WW-3 French Spad, Kit WW-4 German Fokker D7, Kit WW-5 British SE-5, Kit WW-6 British Sopwith Camel
Kit WW-7 Bristol Bullet, Kit WW-8 Nieuport 27, Kit WW-9 Fokker D8, Kit WW-10 Sopwith 7F1 Snipe, Kit WW-11 Pfalz D4, Kit WW-12 Halberstadt CL 11. These are all 18 inch kits and sold for
$1.50 each.
I am surprised how good the wood is in my old Javelin Kit. I wish Guillows would market these kit again in Laser cut. I think they would make great fliers.
andywhitam

Re: 18 inch WW1 kits

Postby davidchoate » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:31 pm

I got a few Ebay Kits with that old Brochure.If only the prices were the same now. One of those WW1 Kits was the 1st Kit I ever made, but can not remember which one. I have been looking at the Albatross. Fokker made it?. I believe it was the 1st Plane to use a Plywood "monocot" fuselage. Though I have not recently built a WW1 Plane I think they translate well from Full to model scale asw they were not too structurally advanced, and most of them were very underpowered, and Aviation was still in it's infancy.
davidchoate

Postby Steve Blanchard » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:37 am

If you would like to get these kits as short kits, meaning all of the laser cut parts plus the plan - you supply the sticks - prop- tissue- and rubber (which most of us do anyway), Then just go here - http://www.aerowerkes.com/SRKS.html. Great company reissuing these out of production kits.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby David Lewis » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:16 pm

I've started to compile a list of Guillow's kit numbers here: http://www.homefly.com/reference/guillows.htm

Thank you in advance if you have anything to add. Your help is welcome.
David Lewis

Postby Chris A. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:18 pm

I've built three of this series, the Albatros, Neuiport 28 and the Snipe. The 28 was crunched in a move, but I'd kept the plan and I salvaged the plastic wheels and cowling. Glad I did, the Aerowrkes 28 is a high quality short kit and I'm looking forward to building it up and the old cowl will make the work much easier. If you are thinking of building one to fly, forget the Guillows wheels as they are solid styrene plastic and very heavy. You'll need to make a set from balsa. As for the Guillows kits, the Sopwith Snipe made up into a very nice display model I gave away to a friend. It's the only kit I've ever seen of the Snipe. The Guillows kits were nice to build, I'm glad we can get reproductions.
Chris A.

Postby davidchoate » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Do they have other out of production short kits? I am interested in a Guillows 1/2A Cessna kit #1501 I think
davidchoate

Postby Chris A. » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:11 am

Check the AeroWerkes website. I picked up several of their reproduction kits. Keil Kraft had a nice Globe Swift that I bought. Quality short kits.
Chris A.

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:29 pm

I have built a few of the 100 Series WW I kits, and have a couple more (Nieuport 28 and Albatross) in my stock. They're really great to build, and I know over the years have been a topic on here of why they can't be brought back. My understanding is half the series was discontinued in the late 60s/early 70s while the others were discontinued about a decade later. Somebody could correct me if I'm wrong on this though.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby davidchoate » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:55 am

So many good reviews on these Aerowork short kits. I will have to look into trying one out. All the stuff I build other than Guillows are Short Kits anyway. I am getting pritty good (though not a master) at improving/making My own cowls and stuff.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions