Fairchild RC II: 4 CH. RC

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Fairchild RC II: 4 CH. RC

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 21, 2016 1:27 pm

I am going to make this a military radial engine variant. I have made round cowlings from balsa before. Also I think it will make mounting the brushless motor easier. I am hPpy with the weigh, and only have to paint the top olive as the bottom of wings will remain white. I got some decals frofor a 500 series P-40 I think will work well with the scale.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat May 21, 2016 9:56 pm

That is certainly a point with the motor mounting. I'd like to add a hair more right thrust to mine, but it would include cutting the firewall around the motor mounting area, prying it a bit to add angle, and then regluing. Building another high prop centerline subject now, where I could potentially get in there and shim the motor later on, but still not easily. The shim would have to be glued to a stick or piece of wire, worked into position, and then a thin screwdriver could be inserted to re-tighten the mounting screws.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Mon May 23, 2016 5:06 am

The ailerons and controls work good. The little HURC 180 motor seems to run nicer than the $30 name brands. My cowl is adding weight, but I got a lot of sanding yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon May 23, 2016 5:40 am

I still have to get the front more rounded.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon May 23, 2016 10:05 am

Almost ready to cover
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed May 25, 2016 9:10 pm

davidchoate wrote:The ailerons and controls work good. The little HURC 180 motor seems to run nicer than the $30 name brands. My cowl is adding weight, but I got a lot of sanding yet.
The HURC "HXT" 10gm motor is popular for a reason. They've always worked well for me. When I built my Fairchild, I actually destroyed a motor with very thin leads that were poorly strain relieved. I believe I ended up using a Park180, but done again I probably would have customized the HXT motor with a reversed shaft. I've had two Park180 motors that seemed to be a bit off in the bell tolerance, although they still work.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Thu May 26, 2016 6:17 am

I am ready for a test flight. I am going to do the maiden without paint and scale details. AUW at 4 Oz. Lighter than my 3 ch version by 20g. I covered that in doped tissue. Microlite is great.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 28, 2016 8:57 pm

I am pretty close to done. I m having problems posting photos so you can't see it, but it looks like the full scale pic of the yellow tail and cowl one. It gained a whole ounce in the scale details. The strut/LG System is a lot. And it's somewhat functional too. My wing loading is 7.1 oz/zq. ft. The stall speed is 13mph. So the best will be around 30 to 40 mph. A little fast for me. I am gonna have a more competent pilot in the FF CLUB fly it.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:58 pm

I am having trouble painting the microlite. What kind of paint is Best
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:44 pm

It takes a while to get onto painting, and I have issues as I tend to not have enough patience to build a tack coat, and then an overall after the tack coat dries. It will relax like a prune, but most wrinkles shrink out after drying, and a high power hair dryer will generally remove the rest. The Rusoleum cans at WalMart and Home Depot have been some of the best. I use them, if they have a color that I can use. They seem to have a very dense pigment that rapidly covers, using a minimal amount of paint. The Model Masters enamels will tend to end up heavier, run/sag more easily, and dry more slowly. The little Cub I built recently has the Rustoleum yellow, which has worked well on a few models.

Another trick I've found that works really well, is to set the parts several feet away from a heat lamp, right after painting. This works really well for wing panels, where you can paint one side at a time. I'll set them about 4 feet under the heat lamp immediately after painting, before they really start to wrinkle. Generally by they time they dry within an hour, the wrinkles are gone.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:06 pm

I did not like the way the CA left stans on
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:32 pm

I have found some adhesive products made for clar p[lastic windows and canopies. I have no problem on My larger models with CA, and if I hit it it with some kicker accelerator it keeps the fogging down. I am having to reenforce the corners espacially on the belly because the microlite, as delicate as it is, has caused some "bowing" in these areas, and so I am going to reinforce using hard balsa on the corner longeron stringers.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:44 pm

This thing is as ready to Fly as it's going to be. The weather has been beaut, but I have not flown it. I think I might be a bit fearful of success. Does that make any sense?
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:15 pm

I have did a little bit of research and found the Army designation is UC-61 for the Fairchild 24. It basically means that you can use it for any purpose.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:14 pm

I have ordered some Oliver Drab microplate to recover and ordered new decals. I am dying to fly this. I have found good threads by Konrad on RC groups about his Fairchild conversion. Having pic posting trouble. Have to resize again.
davidchoate

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions