Fairchild RC II: 4 CH. RC

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Fairchild RC II: 4 CH. RC

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Even though I'm not a RC conversion modeler. I just wanted to say great looking model and good luck with the maiden.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:17 pm

I am doing the cowling over
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:22 pm

A couple more pic's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:48 pm

I had to do some reinforcement as the microlight covering bowed the stringers on the fuselage. It's us is going to be about 120g.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:06 pm

I made another balsa cowling. My first one was a learning experience. this entire Fairchild Conversion is a learning experience. I also removed the covering because the paint was beginning to compromise the covering material. I ordered some olive drab "Parklite" it's 1oz./sq. yd. A little heavyer than microlite, but the painted microlite is probably a bit heavier. In addition I added some more structure where I had problems with stringers bowing from the shrink age of the covering. mainly the bottom fuselage stringers. I will post some pictures as soon as I get time to resize them. The motor and controls are all installed and once it's covered, I'll have to maiden fly it. On a day I feel brave. I had a goal of 100g AUW. I ended up at 120g with the strucural enhancements, but there's plenty of power. I just got to Increase My speed for lift.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:02 pm

That's the key with Microlite, as you stated. The paint has to be kept light, or it's heavier than coverings such as Econokote or Parklite. I try to use paints with dense pigments, like the Rustoleum cans. Some of the Model Masters, especially metallics, really weight and require a good bit of paint. 100 grams is a reasonable weight. My Guillow's Cub is 100 grams and has been an enjoyable flyer. I've had it out a few more times since the maiden. The Fairchild is lighter, but the Cub is a more solid flyer in a bit of wind, with the added weight.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:50 pm

The 3 channel Fairchild was easy to keep at 100g. But I think it's gonna fly at 120g
davidchoate

Previous

Return to General Building Questions