SBD 3 Buiding

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

SBD 3 Buiding

Postby Jim B. » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:28 pm

This is my first Dauntless SBD by Guillow's and things are going fine. I'm recently back in building balsa again after a break. But then I've been building for many years. I wanted share something that I've found. There is an outlet that sells 1/16 scale .50 caliber machine guns. I remember that there was a "field modification" from a .30 caliber to .50 caliber for the rear gunner. If you're interested, here is the link. ozarmour.com.au/store. I just received my order and to be honest, they look quite good. I ordered two of them, one for this build and the other for down the road.
Jim B.

Re: SBD 3 Buiding

Postby davidchoate » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks Dude. Thats the perfect scale around here,and I want like to see pictures of You're build. I do not think I have ever seen an SBD thread on here .
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:10 am

I'd like to build another, this time lighter and cleaner. I rebuilt and lightened the tail feathers on my first build done years ago, now having at least a reasonable amount of ballast in the nose. Still never took it out yet. It has functional retracts also, and is a really nice subject to install them in, with the molded gear mounts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Balsa Pilot » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 am

Jim, that is one pretty bird.

Keep up the good work!
Balsa Pilot

Postby davidchoate » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:00 pm

Nice photos of the retracts. Are those Guillows U-Control Bellcranks?
davidchoate

Postby woundedbear » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi Dudes, This Dauntless posting makes me think about how people talk a lot about the Hero airplanes of WWII, they," and I include myself among them". When you can get a bunch of guys who started building model planes when they were just boys together. Before you know it we're all using our hands and get all keyed up. We'll start talking about P-47s, P-51s, and P-38s. Then when we start talking about the war in the South Pacific, and the talk turns to the Corsairs, Hellcats, P-40s. and maybe the Wildcats, but the Dauntless it was a real hero Warbird. I noted when I checked out the Dauntless on the Guillow's home page. Where they give you a look at the instruction sheet. There's an awful lot of plastic that goes into that kit. If, "or should when", I build that Guillow's kit I think I'll build it as a display model, a very impressive kit I must say!
woundedbear

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:43 pm

davidchoate wrote:Nice photos of the retracts. Are those Guillows U-Control Bellcranks?

They're Guillows parts. Use 'em if you got 'em. Of course they're two kit's worth. I've managed to pile up a few more since, along with Sterling models truck tires. :D
Bill Gaylord

Postby Jimmy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:29 pm

I'm building the SBD-3. I'm almost ready to cover with some silkspan. My question is, I want to update, so to speak, from the markings that come with the kit, to maybe the middle of the War. I'm the guy who found the 1/16 scale .50 machine guns. I've been looking at some of the Guillow's kits and maybe the decals from a smaller aircraft might fit. Smaller scale, of course, but any ideas ?
Jimmy

Postby davidchoate » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:57 pm

It is not too hard to print you're own. There are even services available who will do it for you. Google search it, or chec k on RC Groups.
davidchoate

Postby Jimmy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:15 am

Good morning. I believe that I have found a solution to my problem. I was looking in my "goodie box" of decals and found some for the Guillow's B-25 kit for the SBD that I want to change from early to mid WW2. First I need to cover the thing to make sure.
Jimmy

Return to General Building Questions