B25 Guillow's r/c w/Flight video pg6

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: B25 Guillow's r/c

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Congratulations your B 25 looks super great! I wish i could get one to turn half as good!
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks. You should see the first one I built years ago. :shock: The plastic parts were horribly overlapping the fuse with ripples. I accidentally painted the rear cocpit windows on that build, which caused some confusion with the side gun locations, moving them further forward than they should have been. The side turrets were completely painted over, giving the gunners no way to look outside. I wish I had tried to fly it however, as the geared 370 inrunners had plenty of power, although the model weighed something like 19oz. Would have been impossible to land reasonably, but it may have flown, given enough airspeed.

Edit: As a few of us were discussing, here's another Mosquito for $183 shipped as a BIN, thanks to the few recent high rollers on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guillows-DeHavi ... SwLpdW-aYc
I paid around $40 for the B25, which included state tax which I kinda forgot about until checkout. Still not terribly bad for a kit that's essentially equivalent in size and detail, if not more. If they were any closer I would have just contacted them and picked it up locally, if possible.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 am

I found the Plan Sheets for the Mosquito somewhere. I printed them out, But did'nt tape all the puzzle pieces Yet. It's only 7/16 scale. With a 25 1/2" wing span.Unless You use two .020 Glow engines I would choose to enlarge the plans a little if I wanted to try a practical attempt at an up to date RC version. where are you going to put all the Rc Kit? and what would the wing loading ends up at? A pretty plane and very detailed plans, but needs be larger. I also got Plans for a Guillows 1/2A 45" wing span. What happened to that kit? when did it exist? Kit #1501. I mean they even have the wing Loading, area, and AUW on the main olan sheet. The way it is designed, if I did not know better, Would think it was in the last 10 years.Now that, if converted to Electric RC from Glow, would be a very straight forward Build. I am just finishing the last bit of covering on a Dumas 3Ch. RC Bid Dog. The two are verry similar in size, but the Guillows is a much heavier and sturdy design. My Bird Dog is around 7 oz. AUW, but it is fragile, and designed to fly very slow. I am not a good pilot. Yet, But I will Build this Guillows Cessna at some point. Bill. Your plane looks great, and I like how You reflected back at Your 1st attempt, and to anyone who is new to this hobby, do not be put off by failures. The old Axiom " You learn more from your failures than Your successes" rings true in the world of Guillows Planes for sure.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:02 am

Although this is not a political forum. I at times feel the same way. I will reset My balance by not going on line at all for a week or two unless needed for work, and read books instead of tv. It is habbit. I often feel that something is not right in the universe if I do not look at My Emails, etc. 1st thing in AM. At least, Woundebear, We can rewmember a time when there was no internet, and that Life was just as fulfilling. But the Young people todfay ; I wonder what would happen if a solar flare destroyed every satellite and shut off the internet? Would they wonder around like lost zombies, or a disorientated Borg cut-off from the Hive Mind? But anyway, to put something about Planesa in here. Often as Bill has said. Balance is a problem. I found several heavier brushed motors from MPi that will add weight to the nose. on the FW190 and Zero for example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:06 am

Bill, thanks for introducing Me to Microlite. It works well on small light planes, but can You tell Me what method You use to peel off the protective covering from the sticky side. I spend more time doing that than applying the stuff!
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:13 pm

davidchoate wrote:Bill, thanks for introducing Me to Microlite. It works well on small light planes, but can You tell Me what method You use to peel off the protective covering from the sticky side. I spend more time doing that than applying the stuff!
I use an exacto to just barely poke the backing but not through the covering, and then lift it away from a corner, where there is excess covering that won't be needed if a bit is damaged. A while ago I started "back rolling" the pieces I cut away from the roll, before removing the backing. The idea is to keep them from rolling back into the direction that they were rolled onto when on the tube. I'll repeat the procedure until I can get the pieces to lay flat on the table. It really helps with keeping the covering from sticking together accidentally, when it tries to roll up again, thanks to being rolled up on the tube for ages.

For geared motors, it would have been nice if they would have made gearboxes for the 180 brushed motor. Possibly the best power/weight ratio of the brushed motors. I have this custom made geared setup in a Herr Pitts now, and it flew a GP Hellcat on 3s, with a 9x7 prop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:54 pm

I do that poke through method, but try to keep a corner of the roll aPulled away to give me a pelled spot to start with.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:03 pm

I have some 180 motors like that, but can't find a gearbox to fit them. Looks like an EPU geared unit fot a 13mm N60 motor from Maxx Prod.? The line of Dumas ( Pat Tritle) 40" 3 ch. superlight RC calls for the EPU-4. I guess they do noke them anymore because I talked to MPi via email and only EPU 9 through EPU 12's are still available. And the gear ratio is too high. The little MPi 180 geared was the closest gear ratio at 2.9:1. the EPU 4 is 4.2:1, but considerably lighter than the 180, but the 180 having more watts allows me to maintain balance with a slightly larger Battery.The 180 is 1/2oz. heavier. 14 grams I think? not alot, but when on a 40"wing plane that AUW is 6-7oz. it is a difference. I stayed away from the brushless as I am not desiring to overpower it. Shame those EPU units are nice for a powered FF, or light RC, but larger than micro. I like Maxx Products stuff. The retracts, and etc. They have some very nice quality geared motors, but the prices reflect the quality. I put a Maxx 2808 980kv in a Sport trainer I built for Me to learn on this year at the RC Club, an Alien Aircraft Taylorcraft 42". It was not a hard build, but I want it to learn on, and refuse to use the Clubs Foam RTF's to take My Flight test. I did learn to fly with a Horizon Super Cub with 3 axis. It worked, I still have the plane in one piece to prove it, and video. But that was out of necessity. I want Fly the plane myself. Why else would You want a self flying plane. A camera drone i see that as a lot of them Guys are more photographers than Pilots interested.I would like to try an FPV Plane, to see if it's cool to Fly as seen like I was in the Plane.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:12 pm

I even got the Decals printed, and the green control surface paper covers for display models. There is like 4 sheets of Plans to assembler. I have it saved in another PC. At My dad's. It may be easier to put it on an SD card or Flashdrive, and let Staples print it. Can not remember where I got it, but they had all Guillows Plans. Some never heard of stuff. Like that kit1501 Cessna 170-A
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:21 am

I was just curious about if You Maiden Flew that B-25 Yet? Video?
davidchoate

Postby Chris A. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:19 pm

One of your posts shows a piece of Guillows plan 804 de Havilland Mosquito. Is this plan still available along with templates for the formers and ribs? And if not available from Guillows, is anyone willing to share? I have the Easy Built Mosquito kit and I'm not pleased with either the plan or wood quality and would prefer to cut out my own parts if I can source a good copy of the plan and templates.
Chris A.

Postby davidchoate » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:31 pm

I have a copy of all the plan sheets I printed for Woundedbear, but they are in poster form. You must tape them together. I can't remember where I got them. They are stored on My fathers computer so I have to go over there and print them or store them to a flash drive and I'd be glad to send them to You on a flash drive,CD, or SD card. It may tell Me where I got them, and if it does I'll post it. My Father lives close to My work, but I have off today cause I got a root canal done today, but I will go there at lunch tomorrow.
davidchoate

Postby Chris A. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks for the offer, I've made complete plans from tape together file downloads in the past. A local engineering firm near me then prints the entire taped together plan off their flat bed printer at reasonable cost with good quality. I usually get two sets, on for future use and reference and one to build on.
Chris A.

Postby Chris A. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:49 pm

David, I forgot to mention that either a CD or flash drive will work just fine. I check in every day on the site, just let me know what you prefer and we can set it up tomorrow.
Chris A.

Postby David Lewis » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:20 pm

davidchoate wrote: "I also got Plans for a Guillows 1/2A 45" wing span. What happened to that kit? when did it exist? Kit #1501."

Kit 1501 Cessna 170A plans are copyrighted 1978. (Note the Bird Dog is a Cessna 170 with a two-place tandem fuselage).
David Lewis

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions