dumas kit 318

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

dumas kit 318

Postby Gmartin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:02 am

Just started the bonanza kit and wondered if anyone has built one. Don't know if I will build as a v tail or a vertical tail. I realty like the kit so far a lot better quality than the easy build kit I did before (baby hornet) was a nightmare. New to the rubber power models and learning a lot from the forum.
Gmartin

Re: dumas kit 318

Postby davidchoate » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:39 pm

I know the 300 series is 30"WS, and use a considerably different construction method from Guillows. (lighter). This being a Guillows Forum; You should join RC Groups or Stick and Tissue Forum and find a good Build thread. I personally just kinda sneak My Dumas projects in background of My photos, or talk about how I adapt a Dumas method to make a Guillows tail lighter for example. JUst out oif cureiosity. Are You doing FF, Electric RC, or Disaplay.
davidchoate

Postby Gmartin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:29 am

I want it to be free flight rubber band. I didn't realize this was a guillow's only forum. I just wanted to try different kits to see what I liked best. I want to try a Herr kit next. So far I find guillow's and Dumas to be better quality. Being a beginner in the free flight I am looking for any help I can get.
Gmartin

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:20 am

Gmartin no worries. The Guillow's 900 series kits are the best for rubber FF. They are specifically designed for rubber FF. https://youtu.be/CNGdBjQntbM
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:00 pm

A Guillows kit is much better to beginners, and no mattere what, unless You're lucky, or a Genius You're 1st Planes will probably have a lot of mistakes, but do not throw them out !Some day You will look at it and realize the Journey You chose. It will (to You) be the most beautiful Plane in You're collection. The Dumas Kits generally use the "box" type construction, and very very light fragile wood. Not good for 1st builds. They do, however, give You FAI rubber, and are much lighter and balance well, but at the cost of scale appearance. They use very little plastic, and so You must form most Cowlings, and wheel pants. This requires wetting, and bending, and laminating stuff that I know would have overwhelmed Me on My 1st Planes.
davidchoate

Postby NcGunny » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:35 am

I dont know why you couldnt make a post of your build. A kit is a kit no matter who makes it. A person would soon quit if they only lived off "Guillows" planes.
NcGunny

Postby davidchoate » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Post It ! I wont report You.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:16 am

I have not built the kit. I did not know it came with the option of tails. If I was building the kit I would use standard tail if you are going to fly the model. If you are just going to display the model go for the V tail. Unless you are more adventurous...try to fly it with the V. I think the choice is up to you. I have built several Dumas models and would gladly answer any question I think I can give a good answer to. But with your question over a month old maybe no one here has built that model. Sorry I can not tell you how well it flies with the V tail...that will be up to you to find out.

Keep Building, Keep Flying, Keep Learning.

Mitch... my vote is for the V
Mitch

Postby cliffm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:55 am

I haven't heard of anybody being hauled off in handcuffs for posting about kits other than Guillows, although there are a few stiff necked codgers who have nothing better to do than find something to pick at. Guillows has nothing to fear from the competition in terms of quality and is most builders preference when it comes to scale authenticity and plan clarity. The L.C. kits wood seems to have a better quality of wood than some of the old die cut packages,but it only really makes a difference if your flying them. The only kits I have found to come close are the Herr kits, but their plans require a bit more experience to interpret than the plans furnished with Guillows. Guillows has by far the most complete kits for the money and beginners will find them the best for introduction to the hobby. Just my experience,and I haven't seen any Guillow's police.
cliffm

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Join RC GROUPS. Try have a lot of great conversions threaded
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions