Guillow's B-29 model kit

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillow's B-29 model kit

Postby woundedbear » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:21 am

For those of you who might be interested some guy has a Guillow's B-29 kit for sale on ebay the item number is 351647363403 it's kisted as an auction the bidding stands of this every minute $ 175.00 and the seller will pay shipping. I would be interested in this kit myself but I don't have the money for such a big ticket item. Everything looks to be there as far as the vacuum formed parts are concerned, that would be the clear canopy and blister parts and it looks to have all of the white vacuumed formed parts as well. I hope that one of you guys who have been wanting one of these Guillow's B-29 kits can get a chance to buy this kit, all the best luck to you all of you who have been in the market for a giant 1/32 scale B-29 kit.
woundedbear

Re: Guillow's B-29 model kit

Postby woundedbear » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:52 pm

I have an update on the Guillow's giant 1/32 scale kit, for those of you who have been wanting one of these kits. The seller has moved it to a, "buy it now", the asking price is $175.00 and the seller is offering free shipping for everybody but people who live on the west coast and along the gulf of Mexico. All of the clear vacuum formed parts look to be there, all of the white plastic vacuum formed parts look to be there, as well as the plan sheet and instructions, plus the printed card stock looks to all be there. The balsa wood sheet parts well I am not familiar with this kit but some of the balsa wood is there. I would be buying this kit myself but I don't have the money right now. Here's that ebay item number again 351647363403, if I had the money I'd offer the ebay seller $ 125.00 for the kit myself he just might bite. Well good luck I hope it goes to someone who can make molds for all of those vacuum formed parts and starting selling them and reprints of the instructions and plans sheets.
woundedbear

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:37 pm

These kits go for more than $125 and this seller knows it. This guy won't take it, but you can "luck out" with some sellers, at times who don't know the values, are listing in the wrong places, or are just being really nice. I would wait a bit until it becomes obvious that there are mass number of these out there, both never to be built and to overtake the number of prospective collectors soon. I've seen this happen, with kits like the Sterling Peashooter. People realize there are more of them out there than first thought, and that they continue to appear on the market to an increasingly disinterested ARF/RTF populus, often due to estate sales (unfortunately none of us live forever). Like the Peashooter, it's a really nice and unusual kit, but also seldom built, which makes it even less valuable in the sense that they tend to stick around, being that they remain in unbuilt form. A few years ago that P26 brought a good $60 or more, and you grabbed one up when you could find one. Now they're lucky to get around $30, and they're really worth more than that, but I believe the buyers are often realistic with themselves about the fact that they'll likely never build it, due to the complexity of the build.

Another kit like this, although not balsa, is the Kyosho T33. First, it's not even close to scale, and would look better if it was a P80 IMO. People think these things are gold, and still get more than they are worth, considering that there are highly scale foam RTF jets with the gear included these days, that go for similar prices. Some day someone like FMS or Freewing will come out with a nice park size P80, and these people will wish they had sold their will be then worthless T33s for realistic prices.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:07 pm

I was interestede in acquiring that Guillows electric model Aeronca, but am not willing to pay what Guys want for them. If only Guillows would have kept up on pursuing elecdtric RC. They would probably be like Horizon Hobby is now.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Not a B29 kit, but I was wondering if anyone noticed the Mosquito and P39 currently bidding at $201 and $142 respectively on Ebay. Looks like someone may be upset, and is trying to crash the auction, after someone outbid what they thought should be the top bid. I've seen it before. Got a kick out of seeing another Mosquito "coincidentally" listed with a starting bid of $125. I guess someone figured they'd better get in on the action while the bidding's good. :D

Just to note, normally these kits go for $60-$80, and are topping B29 prices in these two auctions. If you have a B29, it should be worth $500, going along these lines.

edit: Someone just put up a Mosquito with a BIN price of $175. Wonder if some of those "serious bidders" who were above the $175 range on the other auction will jump on this deal. Another one came up with the starting bid set unusually high at $125.
Bill Gaylord

Postby BillParker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:23 am

I got my 29 for $70 including freight. It took me three years of watching the auctions. I lucked into an auction where the guy failed to say Guillow's. I still watch the auctions just in case another cheap one comes along. So after 5 years of watching here's the deal. Highest I've seen sold was 300 USD plus shipping. Lowest my kit at 70 USD shipping prepaid.

decide what your max you'll pay is, bid and stick to it. There will be another kit come up on average evry 2 weeks, but most of the time several a week. Stay with it, stick to your rules, and congrats when you finally get your big plane.

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby NcGunny » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:59 am

I believe I paid 175.00ish for my 29 kit. Refuse to build it due to not wanting to use up my vacuum formed pieces. I did run across a site that would make a whole set for $50.00. Might just build from a copy of the plan and carve up the blow mold pieces someday. Its crazy they discontinued the kit due to it using to much balsa.
NcGunny

Return to General Building Questions