Kit 302- C170: Magnets for Cowling?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Kit 302- C170: Magnets for Cowling?

Postby tpwpny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:41 am

I've seen some online pieces about fastening a cowling on with Neodymium magnets to make it easily removable. I'm working on my first model and wondering whether this is worth trying. My plan so far is not to embed the magnets into the firewall, as I've seen many do. Instead, I want to try adding 2 or 4 small friction(?) blocks on the firewall edges with tiny magnets on each... then gluing small metal washers to the inside cowling near the edge. Thoughts? Anyone try anything similar?

Any other techniques appreciated...!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tpwpny

Re: Kit 302- C170: Magnets for Cowling?

Postby dirk gently » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:47 am

I did that in this model:

I can post pictures of the cowling removed if required.
dirk gently

Postby tpwpny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:56 am

Very nice! And yes- would love to see what it looks like with the cowling removed. Thanks!
tpwpny

Postby dirk gently » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:58 am

I have to get back from work first, but I'll try to remember to do it in the (European) evening.
dirk gently

Postby tpwpny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:08 am

Sorry - I should have added in my original post that I plan to use the default plastic cowling. Don't know if I'm skilled enough yet to create a decent wooden one.
tpwpny

Postby dirk gently » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:21 am

I don't think there's much difference as far as magnet mounting is concerned.
dirk gently

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:55 pm

The embedding is probably the most straightforward, although I've used offset magnets before, which will pull the cowling into position, as the magnets are never fully "satisfied" and are trying to pull it rearward as much as possible. I can't find a photo of it however. I know I also used that idea with a t-slotted cowl design, that rotates into position.
I've done this (below) with several Guillow's planes. I use dowel pins, along with RE magnets. The magnets are quite powerful, where using washers on one side provides adequate grip, even for electric r/c. The magnets and washers are CA glued in place. Scuffing them up a bit with sandpaper helps the glue grip to them. My Zero has the same setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby dirk gently » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:10 am

Here are the mounting details. you can also use locating pins if you like, I don't have them:
DSCN0564.JPG

Another example:
DSCN0568.JPG

And the (somewhat) finished product:
DSCN0569.JPG
Last edited by dirk gently on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirk gently

Postby dirk gently » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:11 am

For a guillows, I would make a copy of the firewall and glue it permanently to the cowling. Then I would mount the magnets in both the mirror firewall and the actual firewall. Here's an example (you have to imagine the magntes, this one is still unfinished):
DSCN0573.JPG
dirk gently

Postby tpwpny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:41 am

If I embed the magnets flush, as seems to be the usual practice, what do you advise I use to make the hole? I'm worried a drill or Dremel bit may be too harsh and rip up the wood....or maybe a special knife? Or is it as simple as cutting the hole with an Exacto?
tpwpny

Postby dirk gently » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:29 am

I do it with an exacto knife. I make the hole a bit smaller than needed. Then I take a rolled piece of sandpaper and sand to size.
dirk gently

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:19 pm

tpwpny wrote:I've seen some online pieces about fastening a cowling on with Neodymium magnets to make it easily removable. I'm working on my first model and wondering whether this is worth trying. My plan so far is not to embed the magnets into the firewall, as I've seen many do. Instead, I want to try adding 2 or 4 small friction(?) blocks on the firewall edges with tiny magnets on each... then gluing small metal washers to the inside cowling near the edge. Thoughts? Anyone try anything similar?

Any other techniques appreciated...!
I probably shouldn't have shown the firewall embedded magnet photo, as it took it in that direction. I've been using tabs glued onto the firewall that fit flush with the inner cowl surface, using screws to attach on the smaller models. The offset magnets should work well though with that scheme, instead of the screws. Again, using a magnet on one part and washer on the other, with them intentionally offset so that the magnet is never fully "satisfied" with it's location, always trying to pull the cowl further rearward. When I used the offset magnet scheme before, you could get a good feel for the ideal offset distance that would create the greatest pull.
Bill Gaylord

Postby tpwpny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Bill Gaylord wrote: I probably shouldn't have shown the firewall embedded magnet photo, as it took it in that direction. I've been using tabs glued onto the firewall that fit flush with the inner cowl surface, using screws to attach on the smaller models. The offset magnets should work well though with that scheme, instead of the screws. Again, using a magnet on one part and washer on the other, with them intentionally offset so that the magnet is never fully "satisfied" with it's location, always trying to pull the cowl further rearward. When I used the offset magnet scheme before, you could get a good feel for the ideal offset distance that would create the greatest pull.

That's the route I'm planning... I think I'll wait till wings are mounted though... Hopefully in the next few days...
tpwpny

Postby tom arnold » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Why do you want to remove the cowl in the first place?
tom arnold

Postby tpwpny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:03 pm

tom arnold wrote:Why do you want to remove the cowl in the first place?

To change the rubber motor if necessary.
tpwpny

Next

Return to General Building Questions