Newbie Tissue Question(s.)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Newbie Tissue Question(s.)

Postby tpwpny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:05 am

Hi all- new to the board and modeling... working on my first, the Kit 302, the Cessna 170. Have a covering question or two before I proceed:

1. I’ve covered my fuselage, wings and stabilizers in tissue, sprayed with 50/50 water and alcohol to shrink. All were fairly taught, barring a few wrinkles. Of late, I’ve noticed some sagging happening of late (my model has been sitting dormant for a week after the initial water/alcohol shrink.) How many spray coats of water is advisable?

2. My local hobby shop gave me a bottle of “Aero Gloss” Gloss Clear and suggested I cover my plane in this. Is this in lieu of water/alcohol? Or in addition? If I add this, should I dilute it 50/50 water? Spray it on or brush it? I also have some Krylon clear acrylic spray so wondering if this is the next step instead before paint. I hear so many references to "doping" and so many different solutions that I'm not clear on whether doping is for adhering tissue or coating the skin for protection.

3. How should seams along the fuselage tissue be smoothed out? Do they dramatically affect flight if they aren't flush along the skin? I'm searching for a good way to trim excess tissue from overlap on edges of wings or fuselage. (I use a sharp exacto; on the fuselage I found I’m always at high risk of accidentally cutting the skin. The only way I have to avoid this is to leave very little overlap if I cover a section, and instead leave it as a seam to smooth out.)

Pics attached of my progress so far (prior to sagging)... more question to come as well, I'm sure...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tpwpny

Return to General Building Questions