hunting a kit

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

hunting a kit

Postby Gmartin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:43 am

Looking to build a rubber band high wing that you can take off for transport. 30 inch wing span would be great and easy to build.
I learned so much on this forum so why not ask for help.
thanks
Gmartin

Re: hunting a kit

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:53 am

If you look through outerzone in the "rubber" section, you might find something looking for high wingers with your approximate span. I can't think of any offhand however, other than the 36" Guillows C172. It's probably a bit heavy for rubber, but would probably fly if built light enough. I've built it as an r/c conversion, which flies well.

Actually come to think of it, the Comet Sparky high winger may have a center wing rubber band mount. I've seen the plans on outerzone, and Ebay has old Sparky kits fairly often. It's been reported to be one of the best.

I just noticed you're in the 'Burg also, not too terribly far from me.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Chris A. » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 pm

Bill, I'm even closer in Meadville. The Crawford County Fairgrounds is a wonderful wise open flying area.
Chris A.

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:33 pm

Chris A. wrote:Bill, I'm even closer in Meadville. The Crawford County Fairgrounds is a wonderful wise open flying area.
Sounds like a nice place to fly. I used to go to the Cooperstown airshows and fly-ins, which you're probably familiar with. We have large local park that's been good for flying, also being about the only person that flies there. Fortunately the drones haven't hit big around here, and there hasn't been any issues with flying at the park.

G Martin this is the model I mentioned that is regularly sold on Ebay, I believe around $20 or so. It's well liked by old time design rubber flyers. I wasn't aware that Penn Valley Hobby Center sells a modern laser cut version of it. Looks nice. I believe the wing could be made with a center rubber band attachment. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SFM-Comet-1247- ... SwQiRUrAJE
Bill Gaylord

Postby Gmartin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:22 am

Thanks for the info. I'm working on a baby hornet from easy built. If I ever buy a kit that is not laser cut I hope somebody boots me in my butt. Too dam old to be trying to cut all those pieces from a printed sheet.
Gmartin

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:31 am

Some die-cut parts can be a pain. I've had a few Guillows die-cut kits where the parts punched out really well however. The little Hellcat parts could simply be popped out by hand. Maybe had to cut just a few spots, and reglue a notch or two. It was literally almost like laser cut parts. Some Sterlings have been decent, some not so decent like the Fokker DVIII I just built. Pretty much paid for a cowl. Built a few Comet kits, just so I could say I'm the only one that has. Their Cherokee 235 and Albatros DVa were basically scratch builds, with a few plastic parts that required a good bit of custom fitting, in some cases.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Chris A. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Comet also kitted a P38. Its a complex kit with many left side/right side parts. I had to put the cut out parts in labeled ziplock bags just to keep them organized. It took three days to cut out and notch everything. I'm still trying to get up nerve to build it. However the best P38 model I've seen was a 1/72 scale unskinned with internal parts 3D printer version. I did build the Comet Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX and it makes a lovely model.
Chris A.

Postby BillParker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:52 pm

get busy:

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Chris A. » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Bill, you're off to a wonderful start, the P 38 bones really look good. So close to being a scratch built. Let me know how much fun you have making the radiators. Next I need to find someone who can make duplicate plastic parts for the Sterling P 61.
Chris A.

Postby BillParker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 pm

BillParker

Postby BillParker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:40 pm

BillParker

Postby heywooood » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:06 am

wow - both the Widow and the P-38 look like very challenging builds...
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby woundedbear » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:33 am

Bill Parker that is some mighty fine building, congratulations, you never cease to inspire me with the airplanes you build!
woundedbear

Postby BillParker » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:07 pm

Same basics as any Guillow's kit. Thank you for the kind words!

bp
BillParker

Postby Chris A. » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:08 pm

Bill, thanks for posting the pictures, your build layout will be a great help when I start on my P38. Yeah that's how you have to build the radiators, all four of them. Will you be making your own canopy? Your P61 looks well set up for U-Control with that really nice work on the engine installations. For those interested, the Sterling kit has a lot of plastic parts, but the results are spectacular. For those who like big twins and something diferent, there are plans available for Tom Arnold's He 219 night fighter. However it isn't all balsa, the main spars are reinforced with carbon fiber. Back to the Neuiport 28 rebuld.
Chris A.

Next

Return to General Building Questions