Magna Boards

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Magna Boards

Postby tago » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm interested in purchasing a magna board & would like to know if anyone's using them and what they think of it.

Really like the idea of not having to pin parts. Using sheet rock for a work surface now, and pretty pleased with it, but working around pins is hard when building some assemblies.

Any input would be appreciated.
tago

Re: Magna Boards

Postby Coloradoken » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Magnets are great but there are still pins needed for some applications, like around curved areas. Also they attract each other and exacto knives and anything else ferrous. I use both strong and weak magnets as well as round and rectangular. Opt for the larger sheet metal. The extra size comes in handy. "If all you have is a hammer, then everything gets treated as a nail". Magnets are a good additional to have in your tool kit, if you want to spend the $.
Coloradoken

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:58 pm

For a mag-board I purchased a 2'x3' piece of sheet steel (ductwork section at home depot) and a larger piece of 3/4" MDF. The MDF is flatter than most plywood at Home depot-type stores, which is what you want. Anyway, I attached the steel to the MDF with Scotch Super 77 spray adhesive, weighted it down, and let it sit overnight. For magnets, I bought a bunch from H.D. and Easybuilt. I hope this helps. Also, be sure to get a cutting mat. Razor blades and steel don't go well together.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby davidchoate » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:51 am

There was a recent article in Model Airplane News or One of them publications. Explained how to make one plans and all. Check on the Google Machine to find it.
davidchoate

Postby tago » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Thanks everybody - there were some things pointed out that I hadn't considered. That being the case I'm going to stay with sheet rock over a flat piece of plywood.
tago
tago

Postby NcGunny » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:32 pm

You can always go with a smaller board...like 18"x36". This way if you get into boxed fuses you can throw down your sheet and start building on it. Keep your sheetrock as your main board.
NcGunny

Postby tago » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks Gunny. Will keep it in mind.
tago
tago

Return to General Building Questions