Kit 904 Skyraider

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Kit 904 Skyraider

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:02 am

Almost ready to fly. I do need to wait for the timer motor and prop to arrive from Nick's http://microflierradio.com/.

I got a reply to my email to Guillow's. I would first like to point out that even though i'm a scratch builder i still spend an average of $20 a month with Guillow's. Any who, Guillow's said they are interested in Peanut Scale series. However, They will not be making any Peanut kits any time soon.
WIDDOG

Postby Steve Blanchard » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:11 am

It's good that they'd hold off on offering peanut scale kits. The designs for peanut scale would need to be very different from their present designs. They'd have to go back to their early days and design to those specifications if they would have any really successful peanuts. And when I say successful I mean flights of a minute or more. When you talk peanut scale you have to talk competitive. You can't put out a series of kits in a wing span that offers more frustration than reward unless you are going to make them competitive. It's just a fact that peanut scale models are much more difficult to trim than larger models. Subject choice and light design determine their success across a broad spectrum of modelers.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:47 am

The 900's reduced to 12 w.s. are better flyers than the 16 w.s. regular size models. The timer was set at 5 sec with a 5 sec ramp down. I had a peanut fly 00S with a 20 sec run time on the timer. My Q was/is should i work with the 900's or should i strike out with my own designs.

https://youtu.be/2IPc3XwTAz8
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:15 pm

i have not posted here for awhile. I am still very much interested in peanut scale electric free flight. The problem I'm having is I have been selected as a Volunteer Test Pilot (I don't get paid) for the "New" Prototype Reproduction Supreme Models F4U-1 Vought Corsair Peanut Scale by. Aero-Werkes.

http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/index.html.

I want to promote electric free flight. So if there is a interest i may post the build here.

WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:32 am

Always love to see UM builds. Looks like a nice subject.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Chris A. » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:17 pm

I have a peanut scale Zero kit and where 1/16 wood is used in larger kits, the Zero is mostly 1/20th and the very small size will test my building skills. I'll need to hone my building skills with a couple of larger kits before I'll be comfortable with a Peanut scale.
Chris A.

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:31 am

Good point Chris. I should have mentioned that this kit the parts are laser cut. Also since it will be electric instead of Rubber power it can definitely weigh more.
WIDDOG

Postby Chris A. » Mon May 02, 2016 1:33 pm

My recollection trying to fly small rubber models is that weight is a critical factor. Even when trimmed out the greater the wing loading, the faster they flew and any minor trim issues became noticeable. For some reason, bigger planes, even with wing loadings of similar grams/sq.in. to the smaller planes were easier to trim and successfully fly. Are electric ff easier to trim and fly than rubber?
Chris A.

Postby WIDDOG » Mon May 02, 2016 5:38 pm

IMHO I think that Electric Free Flight is much better than rubber power. I am pretty sure if they had these powerful tiny batteries back in in the 1930s that EFF would be much more popular. The nice thing about EFF is that the battery can be used as balancing weight.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue May 03, 2016 12:04 am

That's pretty much it. For a lot of subjects, you need the nose ballast anyway. Some single cell setups, with timer and motor are only around 10 grams or less.
Bill Gaylord

Previous

Return to General Building Questions